From: Bob on
I just upgrade from fedora 10 to fedora 11. When I tried
to update with yum i get:

yum updateThere was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

No module named yum

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.6 (r26:66714, Mar 17 2009, 11:44:21)
[GCC 4.4.0 20090313 (Red Hat 4.4.0-0.26)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

When I read the faq, it essentially gives me
the same info: no module named yum

Ideas? This seems like a ridiculous problem.
If yum doesnt work, everything else is painful.

Thanks
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Dec 1, 11:32 am, Bob <j...(a)rahul.net> wrote:
> I just upgrade from fedora 10 to fedora 11.  When I tried
> to update with yum i get:

How did you update? Did you use the installation media and tell it
"update", or did you change your upstream repository to the new
repository and do it one component at a time, or what? And do you have
any reason not to jump to Fedora 12 now?
From: Bob on

> How did you update? Did you use the installation media and tell it
> "update", or did you change your upstream repository to the new
> repository and do it one component at a time, or what? And do you have
> any reason not to jump to Fedora 12 now?

I updated with the Fed 11 DVD, I chose the
'install or upgrade option' and upgraded from older
version of fedora. I didnt change any of the repos.
Whatever it did it did on its own.

About Fedora 12, yes, im avoiding it. I tried updating
my other machine from 11 to 12 and it had video issues.
It didnt recognize my 512Mbyte AGP card (fed 11 works
fine), and even in text mode after upgrading (init level 3),
the cursor was stuck up at the upper left corner. After
1 page of text I couldnt see anything anymore, it was
very strange.

I have a perfectly running server that Id hate to have
to re-install things on because it would take me 3
days to set it back up with everything.

On a side note, is there some reason why older fc rpm
packages are left on an upgrade? ie I have some fc10
rpms and not fc11 ones after the upgrade which I suspect
might be causing this? Seems to me fedora should take
care of it for me during upgrade somehow.

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Dec 1, 3:00 pm, Bob <j...(a)rahul.net> wrote:
> > How did you update? Did you use the installation media and tell it
> > "update", or did you change your upstream repository to the new
> > repository and do it one component at a time, or what? And do you have
> > any reason not to jump to Fedora 12 now?
>
> I updated with the Fed 11 DVD, I chose the
> 'install or upgrade option' and upgraded from older
> version of fedora. I didnt change any of the repos.
> Whatever it did it did on its own.
>
> About Fedora 12, yes, im avoiding it.  I tried updating
> my other machine from 11 to 12 and it had video issues.
> It didnt recognize my 512Mbyte AGP card (fed 11 works
> fine), and even in text mode after upgrading (init level 3),
> the cursor was stuck up at the upper left corner.  After
> 1 page of text I couldnt see anything anymore, it was
> very strange.
>
> I have a perfectly running server that Id hate to have
> to re-install things on because it would take me 3
> days to set it back up with everything.
>
> On a side note, is there some reason why older fc rpm
> packages are left on an upgrade?  ie I have some fc10
> rpms and not fc11 ones after the upgrade which I suspect
> might be causing this?  Seems to me fedora should take
> care of it for me during upgrade somehow.

You can do a 'yum list extras' to see what they are. Some packages may
have been discarded and thus remain in place, effectively unused.
Asking Fedore updates to remove such packages is to destroy things
accidentally in an upgrade process.
From: Bob on

> You can do a 'yum list extras' to see what they are. Some packages may
> have been discarded and thus remain in place, effectively unused.
> Asking Fedore updates to remove such packages is to destroy things
> accidentally in an upgrade process.

I would if yum worked at all, its completely hosed.
just typing 'yum' gives me the above message, let
along arguments.

Ive really had it with fedora at this point, I started
having issues around 9 or 10, various problems, but
this is really the last straw. Im going to try out Ubuntu
from now on. Unfortunately my one system I still need
to fix or spend 3 days re-doing with Ubuntu, the other
one I can reload from scratch.

Thanks