From: master1729 on
just for fun :

what is the simplest way of proving that the first zero of zeta(s) on the critical line has indeed real part 1/2 ?
From: Michael on
On Sep 22, 3:42 pm, master1729 <tommy1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> just for fun :
>
> what is the simplest way of proving that the first zero of zeta(s) on the critical line has indeed real part 1/2 ?

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Hello Universe! Copywrite(C) 2009 Martin Musatov. All rights
reserved.
PAUSE
@\windows\ie7\iexplore.exe meami.org
@"c:\program files\internet exploder\iexplore.exe 'http://
www.meami.org'"@open http:\\www.meami.org"
#include <windows.h>
void main (void)
{
ShellExecute (NULL, "open", "http://www.meami.org", NULL, NULL,
SW_SHOWNORMAL);

}
From: Robert Israel on

> just for fun :
>
> what is the simplest way of proving that the first zero of zeta(s) on the
> critical line has indeed real part 1/2 ?

I think you mean "in the critical strip": the critical line is Re(z) = 1/2
by definition.

By the functional equation and zeta(conjugate(s)) = conjugate(zeta(s)),
zeros not on the critical line must occur in pairs symmetric about
Re(z) = 1/2. Integrate numerically zeta'(z)/zeta(z) dz around a suitable
contour with sufficient precision and you'll have shown that there is
exactly one zero, not two, inside that contour.
--
Robert Israel israel(a)math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
From: master1729 on
Robert Israel wrote :

> > just for fun :
> >
> > what is the simplest way of proving that the first
> zero of zeta(s) on the
> > critical line has indeed real part 1/2 ?
>
> I think you mean "in the critical strip": the
> critical line is Re(z) = 1/2
> by definition.

yes of course , sorry.

> By the functional equation and zeta(conjugate(s)) =
> conjugate(zeta(s)),
> zeros not on the critical line must occur in pairs
> symmetric about
> Re(z) = 1/2.

True.

although i expect you actually mean the functional equation of the related Xi(z) function.

Thus we have symmetry for Re = 1/2 and Im = 0

( btw i wonder how one proves that a zero of a certain function that has no symmetry (for its zero's) and is not related to primes has a rational real part = 1/2 in a fast way in general )

> Integrate numerically zeta'(z)/zeta(z)
> dz around a suitable
> contour with sufficient precision and you'll have
> shown that there is
> exactly one zero, not two, inside that contour.

' integrate " numerically " ' does not sound like a proof.

especially the " numerically " part ; more like a heuristic argument.

... with any desired precision around 1/2.

but no proof of Re(z) = 1/2 for the first non-trivial zero.

or did you leave out some important detail ?

in general - under usual conditions - , a contour integral gives the sums of residues ( * 2pi i ) of all the 1/zero's (poles) inside its contour.

so what value are we suppose to find when we compute :

> Integrate numerically zeta'(z)/zeta(z)
> dz around a suitable
> contour with sufficient precision

without assuming there is only one zero with that residue value ( * 2pi i = contour integral )

btw what suitable contour ?

i assume (you meant) a limit of contour integrals where the limit of the contours approaches the zeta zero ?

with this method i expect that i need the residue value(s) of the zero's ' still ' in the contours.

what if the residues of the poles/zero's are all 0 or cancel out apart from the ones with Re(z) = 1/2.

and the 'proof' would be more of an argument in the style of

contours numbered lower real part upper real part

1 0.4 0.6

2 0.45 0.55

3 0.47 0.53

... 0.499999...? 0.500...1 ?

oo 1/2 ? 1/2 ?

> --
> Robert Israel
> israel(a)math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
> Department of Mathematics
> http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
> University of British Columbia Vancouver,
> BC, Canada

sorry if im hard on you , but unless you clarify , it seems like an argument rather than a proof.

its a good strategy at first sight.

not wrong , but somewhat vague.

suppose for instance we have 2 zero's off the critical line.

and the related Res are + 1 and - 1.

or even worse both are 0.

contour A

a + 1 - 1

contour B

but a = a + 1 - 1 !

similarly a = a + 0 + 0

i hope you understand what im trying to say.

regards

tommy1729
From: master1729 on
i wrote :

> Robert Israel wrote :
>
> > > Integrate numerically zeta'(z)/zeta(z)
> > dz around a suitable
> > contour with sufficient precision and you'll have
> > shown that there is
> > exactly one zero, not two, inside that contour.

> suppose for instance we have 2 zero's off the
> critical line.
>
> and the related Res are + 1 and - 1.
>
> or even worse both are 0.

oh wait , Res have to be non-zero because you considered zeta'(s)/zeta(s) i assume.

i assume thats why you took zeta'(s)/zeta(s) instead of 1/zeta(s) right ?

now if the limit of the contours are taken assymetric around Re = 1/2 and the values of all the integrals are constant ... then we have a proof i assume ?

however this reduces to finding the simplest way of proving those integrals to be equal.

i suppose the trick is to adapt the contours so that the constant value is most easily proved.

now i think i get israels approach.

but still no full proof , i assume we need to continue like this ;

1) define contours and
2) prove constant value

btw is this then really the easiest way ?

did i get the full intention of roberts approach now ?

regards

tommy1729