From: Hermione on
Hi

I receive a new PC from DELL with win XP Professional installed, when I
tried to make windows Update I have this message:0x8009200D

I tried but it didn't work:

Go to Start>Run and key in each of these commands, one at a time, clicking
on OK or hitting ENTER after each command and then clicking on OK in the
RegSvr32 dialogue box:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll

Restart and see if you can now successfully use Windows Update site.

Any help please

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Hermione,

Try this :
Rename the Catroot2 folder :

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd and then click OK.
At the Command Prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after
each line:

net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc
exit

If you get an error message that Cryptographic Services is not running
then go to Start, Run, type in services.msc
Click OK.
Scroll down the list of services until you get to Cryptographic
Services. Double click it then click the Start button. In the Startup
type drop down window set it to Automatic, click Apply, OK.
Close the Services console.
Now try the Windows Update site.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

From: TaurArian on
0x8009200D = Crypt_E_Bad_Msg
Not a cryptographic message or the cryptographic message is not formatted correctly

try this suggestion by torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI

See if this helps (disregard the SP2 reference):

Go to
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

Look for fixdb.bat under "Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from
or write to the database". Download and run it.