From: Perry Monroe Perry on
is there anyway to stop the auto format I need to enter
1-4-1
1-4-2
1-4-3 etc...
and the data showes up as dates in the cells I hate this auto function and I
would like to shut all auto features off they never help
From: Fred Smith on
Precede your entry with an apostrophe (').

Regards,
Fred

From: Bernard Liengme on
When you enter 1-4-1 you are entering a DATE
To have is as text;
Either pre-format the cells as Text
Or precede the entry with a single quote (apostrophe) as in '1-2-3
This will no be visible in the cell or on printout
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: RonaldoOneNil on
Enter an apostrophe before your data

'1-4-1
'1-4-2

From: Chip Pearson on
You can type an apostrophe (') before the text in the cell. This
causes Excel to treat it as literal text. The apostrophe will not
appear in the cell and it doesn't need to be taken into account in
other formulas that reference that cell.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:14:02 -0700, Perry Monroe <Perry