From: Demosthenes on
Hi,

I have a question about a slightly complicated Rank function I want to
write, and I'm having a problem with it. Say you have the following data:

Bob
Jim
Bob
Dan
Bill
Jim
Bob
Matt
Bob
Jim
Dan
Matt
Greg

I want to make a list that ranks these entries in order of how often they
appear, and that takes into account ties. Like so:

Bob (4)
Jim (3)
Matt (2)
Dan (2)
Greg (1)
Bill (1)

Does anyone have any ideas? I've come close using CountIf and Unique Ranks,
but I can't figure out how to resolve the problem of having the same names
occur more than once. I also want to do this with as few helper columns as
possible.

Thanks,
From: Glenn on
Demosthenes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about a slightly complicated Rank function I want to
> write, and I'm having a problem with it. Say you have the following data:
>
> Bob
> Jim
> Bob
> Dan
> Bill
> Jim
> Bob
> Matt
> Bob
> Jim
> Dan
> Matt
> Greg
>
> I want to make a list that ranks these entries in order of how often they
> appear, and that takes into account ties. Like so:
>
> Bob (4)
> Jim (3)
> Matt (2)
> Dan (2)
> Greg (1)
> Bill (1)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I've come close using CountIf and Unique Ranks,
> but I can't figure out how to resolve the problem of having the same names
> occur more than once. I also want to do this with as few helper columns as
> possible.
>
> Thanks,

You received three responses to this exact question yesterday. If they aren't
providing the solution you need, follow up to those responses or provide further
information in a new post. Otherwise, you will likely not get anything new or
helpful.