From: robert on
Hi all,

I just installed opensuse 11.2 and on autoboot into runlevel 5 I got
"kdeinit4: error while loading shared libraries" . Neither dmesg or /
var/log/messages gave me any obvious clues on the problem. I did no
other updates beside an install. I did a "telinit 3" and startx gave
me this error:

"xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.4791

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux dhcppc0 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop #1 SMP
PREEMPT 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 i686
Build Date: 02 November 2009 12:05:39PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Dec 9 21:21:49 2009

(==) Using default built-in configuration (39 lines)
(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)
Setting master
/etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
There is no default input method for the current locale.
Dummy input method "none" (do not use any fancy input method by
default)
startkde: Starting up...
/usr/bin/kdeinit4: error while loading shared libraries: libfam.so.0:
startkde: Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation."

yast2 via the shell tells me fam and fam-dev is installed. "locate
libfam.so.0" after running updatedb doesn't show the file installed.
This tells me its installed I think but its not:

dhcppc0:~ # rpm -q --whatrequires libfam.so.0
fam-2.7.0-133.2.i586
libgio-fam-2.22.1-2.2.i586
gnome-vfs2-2.24.1-3.4.i586
libgda-3_0-3-3.1.5-3.2.i586
libkde4-4.3.1-6.7.2.i586
kdelibs3-3.5.10-32.3.i586

dhcppc0:~ # rpm -qa | grep libkde4
libkde4-4.3.1-6.7.2.i586
libkde4-devel-4.3.1-6.7.2.i586

Please help!
From: robert on
On Dec 9, 10:05 pm, robert <robertlazar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed opensuse 11.2 and on autoboot into runlevel 5 I got
> "kdeinit4: error while loading shared libraries" . Neither dmesg or /
> var/log/messages gave me any obvious clues on the problem. I did no
> other updates beside an install. I did a "telinit 3" and startx gave
> me this error:

<snip>
> startkde: Starting up...
> /usr/bin/kdeinit4: error while loading shared libraries: libfam.so.0:
> startkde: Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation."

I tried to install a second time - this time using ext4 instead of
ext3 - and it worked. Strange but glad its fixed.

- R

Pages: 1
Prev: 11.2 Thunderbird Browser
Next: 11.2 Gnome