From: Rainy on
Windows XP Home OEM
Sp3

Error: Cannot install 16 bit programs

I have never had this problem before. I was having a problem with one of my
favorite programs (The Font Thing), so I uninstalled it. When I tried to
reinstalled it, I got the prompt I couldn't install 16 bit programs. I
have used this program for years, and the only thing I have done recently
that is different is to get some windows xp updates! . Does anyone know
what could be causing this? I think it might be one of the updates!
Appreciate any help.. Rainy

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Rainy" <love_sweetz(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Windows XP Home OEM
> Sp3
>
> Error: Cannot install 16 bit programs
>
> I have never had this problem before. I was having a problem with one of
> my favorite programs (The Font Thing), so I uninstalled it. When I tried
> to reinstalled it, I got the prompt I couldn't install 16 bit programs.
> I have used this program for years, and the only thing I have done
> recently that is different is to get some windows xp updates! . Does
> anyone know what could be causing this? I think it might be one of the
> updates! Appreciate any help.. Rainy

It would help if you posted the error message you see on the scree -
verbatim, please!

From: Rainy on

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Rainy" <love_sweetz(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Home OEM
>> Sp3
>>
>> Error: Cannot install 16 bit programs
>>
>> I have never had this problem before. I was having a problem with one of
>> my favorite programs (The Font Thing), so I uninstalled it. When I tried
>> to reinstalled it, I got the prompt I couldn't install 16 bit programs.
>> I have used this program for years, and the only thing I have done
>> recently that is different is to get some windows xp updates! . Does
>> anyone know what could be causing this? I think it might be one of the
>> updates! Appreciate any help.. Rainy
>
> It would help if you posted the error message you see on the scree -
> verbatim, please!

Hi Pegasus,
I no longer had the program or setup file on my system, so I had to try and
reinstall it and this is what I got

Can't run 16-bit Windows Program

Cannot find the C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher\SETUP.EXE (or one of its components).
Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available.

Of course I am staring right at it... :) I hope this helps you to help me..
thanks so much! Rainy

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Rainy" <love_sweetz(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Windows XP Home OEM
>>> Sp3
>>>
>>> Error: Cannot install 16 bit programs
>>>
>>> I have never had this problem before. I was having a problem with one
>>> of
>>> my favorite programs (The Font Thing), so I uninstalled it. When I
>>> tried
>>> to reinstalled it, I got the prompt I couldn't install 16 bit programs.
>>> I have used this program for years, and the only thing I have done
>>> recently that is different is to get some windows xp updates! . Does
>>> anyone know what could be causing this? I think it might be one of the
>>> updates! Appreciate any help.. Rainy
>>
>> It would help if you posted the error message you see on the scree -
>> verbatim, please!
>

> Hi Pegasus,
> I no longer had the program or setup file on my system, so I had to try
> and
> reinstall it and this is what I got
>
> Can't run 16-bit Windows Program
>
> Cannot find the C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher\SETUP.EXE (or one of its
> components).
> Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
> libraries are available.
>
> Of course I am staring right at it... :) I hope this helps you to help
> me.. thanks so much! Rainy

The first step would be to check if the file C:\Progra~1\Sue
Fisher\SETUP.EXE exists. You can find out like so:
1. Click Start / Run
2. Type the three letters cmd and press Enter.
3. Type this command and press Enter:
dir C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher\SETUP.EXE

If the file does exist, continue like so:
4. cd /d C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher{Enter}
5. setup{Enter}

You should also ask yourself how the folder C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher got
created. It is not a native Windows folder. Did you perform some other step
before when attempting to install this program? What were they?

From: Bob I on

Rainy wrote:
> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Rainy" <love_sweetz(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Windows XP Home OEM
>>>Sp3
>>>
>>>Error: Cannot install 16 bit programs
>>>
>>>I have never had this problem before. I was having a problem with one of
>>>my favorite programs (The Font Thing), so I uninstalled it. When I tried
>>>to reinstalled it, I got the prompt I couldn't install 16 bit programs.
>>>I have used this program for years, and the only thing I have done
>>>recently that is different is to get some windows xp updates! . Does
>>>anyone know what could be causing this? I think it might be one of the
>>>updates! Appreciate any help.. Rainy
>>
>>It would help if you posted the error message you see on the scree -
>>verbatim, please!
>

> Hi Pegasus,
> I no longer had the program or setup file on my system, so I had to try and
> reinstall it and this is what I got
>
> Can't run 16-bit Windows Program
>
> Cannot find the C:\Progra~1\Sue Fisher\SETUP.EXE (or one of its components).
> Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
> libraries are available.
>
> Of course I am staring right at it... :) I hope this helps you to help me..
> thanks so much! Rainy

I suspect it may be caused by Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-015 so
you could call 1-866-PCSAFETY and ask