From: smlunatick on
On Jan 29, 3:50 am, ConnectionNovice
<ConnectionNov...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am running a new Wireless N router, but this computer is hard-wired.  I run
> CAT6 to this room, but am not sure about the wire from the router to the
> cable modem.  I will check this.
>
> When the internet connection is active, I see two connections.  If I stop
> the internet connection(showing 10 Mbps) the other one (showing 100 Mbps)
> disappears.
>
> As near as I can tell, there is only one actual connection being made?????
>
> Run speed test from digitallanding.com and it test at just above 13 Mbps
> internet speed - late at night.
>
> Have other computers in the house, but none of them show 2 icons??
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
> > Hi
> > If you look at the Control Panel Network Connections.
> > How many connectors are there and what their description is.
> > Describing how you connect to the Internet would help too.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> > "ConnectionNovice" <ConnectionNov...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:4A747291-AC61-4917-91C7-F410E58F18AA(a)microsoft.com...
> > >I have 2 icons appearing in the lower right.  One says "internet
> > >connection",
> > > one says "local area connection".  When on the internet it always defaults
> > > the internect connection at 10 Mbps, and internet traffic seems to be
> > > slow.
> > > However,  I can not use the Local area connection at 100 Mbps.
>
> > > Both of these icons appear, but I can not disable the slower connection.
> > > If
> > > I disconnect the local, it disables both connections.  And reconnecting to
> > > local, connects both, and the internet defaults to the slower speed.
>
> > > How can I assure using the faster connection?
>
> > .

Internet connection is a result of the new Wireless N router UPNP
setttings. If the router has UPNP turned on, Windows will automatic
detect it and create the Internet Connection icon. It would be used
to control the router's settings but most of the router I use, this
icon is useless.
From: ConnectionNovice on
So, is the 13 Mbps as good as it gets?
Is there a way of using the faster speed?

Should the UPNP be disabled/reset?

Thanks,