From: ConnectionNovice on
I have 2 icons appearing in the lower right. One says "internet connection",
one says "local area connection". When on the internet it always defaults to
the internect connection at 10 Mbps, and internet traffic seems to be slow.
However, I can not use the Local area connection at 100 Mbps.

Both of these icons appear, but I can not disable the slower connection. If
I disconnect the local, it disables both connections. And reconnecting to
local, connects both, and the internet defaults to the slower speed.

How can I assure using the faster connection?
From: Zakhary on
I'm not sure if I am understanding your problem entirely. However, your
internet connection speed differs from your local area connection speed. The
Local Area Network is simply the speed of your connection from your computer
to the source (usually a router) that serves as a "gateway" to the internet.
This is where all networked devices meet. Your internet connection speed is
how quickly you go through the gateway to the internet (usually through a
modem also). So, I don't think there's a software-based way to change one
speed from the other (i.e., make the internet and LAN speeds the same).

Depending on your hardware set-up, it may be a difference in your Ethernet
cable series' and/or your gateway, modem, or switches you use. There are
Category (CAT) 3, 5, and 6 (coming out with 7) cables, which operate on 10
Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1 Gbps, respectively. If you have a CAT 3 between the
gateway and your modem or other source to the internet, it may be affecting
your internet connection speed. Hence, maybe you have a CAT 5 between your
computer and the gateway, but a CAT 3 between your gateway and the modem (?).
Also, your router, switch, or modem may only support a particular transfer
speed.

Outside of those considerations, I'll allow someone else to consider
software/network set-up bases for your symptoms.

--
-Zakhary

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
If you look at the Control Panel Network Connections.
How many connectors are there and what their description is.
Describing how you connect to the Internet would help too.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ConnectionNovice" <ConnectionNovice(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4A747291-AC61-4917-91C7-F410E58F18AA(a)microsoft.com...

From: ConnectionNovice on
I am running a new Wireless N router, but this computer is hard-wired. I run
CAT6 to this room, but am not sure about the wire from the router to the
cable modem. I will check this.

When the internet connection is active, I see two connections. If I stop
the internet connection(showing 10 Mbps) the other one (showing 100 Mbps)
disappears.

As near as I can tell, there is only one actual connection being made?????

Run speed test from digitallanding.com and it test at just above 13 Mbps
internet speed - late at night.

Have other computers in the house, but none of them show 2 icons??

From: Zakhary on
Did you use this computer to set-up your Comcast (or other) connection??

In your Control Panel go to "Network Connections." What are all the
connections shown there?

--
-Zakhary