From: Don Powell on
I rebooted one of my 2 DCs and it just hung at Applying Computer Settings. I
Googled this and found some posts that indicated I should boot in Safe Mode
and disable the Network Location Awareness service. I did and the server
booted. What causes this and should I leave NLA disabled or is this a
symptom of a larger problem?

From: Freddy on
I just had the same problem. Here is what I posted today;

I have two Windows 2003 domain controllers. One is working fine, but the
domain controller on my better server will not boot past the "Applying
Computer settings" section. I can ping it, I can open computer management for
it from a different server and view the logs and services, but it will not
complete its boot cycle. The server can boot in safe mode and safe mode with
networking. There are not errors in the log files and the hardware is working
fine. Everything seems normal. I could use some help. Please advise.

I will try disabling the Network location Awareness service and see if that
works.

From: Todd J Heron on
This looks like a recent problem with APC software causing Windows Servers
to get stuck on applying computer settings. If you are using APC Powerchute
ups software, go to safe mode and run start > msconfig > Services tab >
Disable APC services. Or, you can use KILL.EXE to kill the pcbagent.exe and
pcbserver.exe processes while the server is up, then uninstall the software.
Other method is disabling services in safe mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2005/07/28/59861.aspx
http://emea-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/emea_en.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?ISOCountryCode=gb&p_faqid=7202&p_olh=1

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA

From: Rasman on
Same symptoms I am not running any APC products on the erver.

From: Todd J Heron on
Check this. All internal Active Directory domain clients should be
configured to use only an internal DNS Server hosting the zone name for the
Active Directory domain. This means no workstation or server, to include
all DCs and DNS servers, on the network should be configured to use any
external DNS for resolution, not even as a secondary DNS server. The
reason all domain members and DCs must use the local DNS for DNS in TCP/IP
properties, is because that is how clients find objects in Active Directory
(e.g. domain controllers, global catalogs, etc). If you point domain
clients (including domain controllers) to a DNS server which doesn't hold
this information, expect:

1) Long logon times (long waiting time for "Applying computer settings" or
clients unable to logon at all)
2) Slow boot times for DCs
3) No Active Directory replication
4) Administrators unable to manage parts of the domain
5) Group policy errors or failing outright
6) Poor (slow) network performance in general.
--

"Todd J Heron" wrote:

> This looks like a recent problem with APC software causing Windows Servers
> to get stuck on applying computer settings. If you are using APC
> Powerchute
> ups software, go to safe mode and run start > msconfig > Services tab >
> Disable APC services. Or, you can use KILL.EXE to kill the pcbagent.exe
> and
> pcbserver.exe processes while the server is up, then uninstall the
> software.
> Other method is disabling services in safe mode.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353
> http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2005/07/28/59861.aspx
> http://emea-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/emea_en.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?ISOCountryCode=gb&p_faqid=7202&p_olh=1
>
> --
> Todd J Heron, MCSE
> Windows Server 2003/2000/NT; CCA
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights
>

> "Freddy" <Freddy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just had the same problem. Here is what I posted today;
>
> I have two Windows 2003 domain controllers. One is working fine, but the
> domain controller on my better server will not boot past the "Applying
> Computer settings" section. I can ping it, I can open computer management
> for
> it from a different server and view the logs and services, but it will not
> complete its boot cycle. The server can boot in safe mode and safe mode
> with
> networking. There are not errors in the log files and the hardware is
> working
> fine. Everything seems normal. I could use some help. Please advise.
>
> I will try disabling the Network location Awareness service and see if
> that
> works.

Pages: 1
Prev: HPBro Process