From: M. Quintana M. on
Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
Any suggestions?
From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"M. Quintana" <M. Quintana(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to update Office 2007 Ultimate with the service pack 2, I
> receive the following error: "package error installation". On the Update
> History, the code error is: 0x80246002. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I
> downloaded the SP2 and tried to install it manually with no avail.
> Any suggestions?

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=0x80246002+MVP&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en_US_2231886c-4c59-45b0-92e0-8881ddf5f40b&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

(Alt-7 search for
0x80246002 MVP
- filtered by Answered Questions
)

<quote>
This is what the error means -

0x80246002 -2145099774 SUS_E_DM_INCORRECTFILEHASH The file digest did
not match the expected value
</quote>

By doing a manually install you have the opportunity to create more complete
diagnostics and with less interference from other sources. E.g. you could
disconnect from the Internet and shutdown whatever security apps you have
running before retrying the manual install. You could also activate
verbose logging and you could run ProcMon to supplement whatever diagnostics
you are creating.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: M. Quintana on
I did both suggestions... and even downloaded and install the Microsoft
Installer v4.5... and still no luck.
(thanks for the replies). I think that the sure thing is to uninstall
completely Office 2007 (How to wipe it out completely and to delete al the
temp files and clean the registry?)...

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Before uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007, try...

1. Inserting your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before the next
installation attempt.

2. Doing a Reset (run Fix It in Default *and* Aggressive modes) followed by
a reboot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

3. Rebooting into a Clean Boot environment
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434) before the next installation
attempt.

4. Running a Repair of Office 2007.

Do NOT run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility in an attempt to remove
Office 2007!

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)