From: JF Mezei on
I am a newbie, so please forgive what might be a really silly question, but
couldn't find this in the doc or on google.

I have a 2924 EN XL switch. Purchased used from EBAY. It came from a large
drinks maker that competes against an Atlanta based one. (note to them:
when you sell switches, you might consider zapping your configuration files
that contain clear text passwords).

Show version information is at the bottom of this message.

I can connect to it via serial or telnet, and am able to do the CLI
configuration.

However, I tried the HTTP configuration , but I am at a loss. All the
documentation I have point to the first item on the home page pointing to
"Visual Switch Manager".

I get "Cluster Management Suite" which points to "homepage.htm". If I click
on it, it says "page not found".

Is there a CLI command I can enter to make the switch serve the CVSM
instead of the cluster management suite ? (this is a single, lonely switch,
so no need for cluster stuff)

So I need to download extra software to the switch ?

Some of the doc I have seen also allude to the need to have some plug-ins
on the client browsers. is that the case, or is the CVSM simple html and/or
JAVA ?

Finally, on that home page, one can also enter CLI commands. However, it
mentions levels 0 to 15. What are those levels ? on CLI, I am only aware of
two. (basic access, and the "enable" access which allows me to configure
the switch).

Any pointers to answers would be appreciated.

Show version output:
SWITCH1>show version
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC9, RELEASE
SOFTWA)
Compiled Fri 19-Sep-03 10:28 by antonino
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0034E434

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

SWITCH1 uptime is 2 hours, 58 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC9.bin"

cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with 8192K/1024K
byt.
Processor board ID FAB0xxxU2NT, with hardware revision 0x01
Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
Cluster command switch capable
Cluster member switch capable
24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:04:4D:xx:xx:80
Motherboard assembly number: 73-3382-08
Power supply part number: 34-0834-01
Motherboard serial number: FAB044780JT
Power supply serial number: PHI040903ME
Model revision number: A0
Motherboard revision number: C0
Model number: WS-C2924-XL-EN
System serial number: FAB0xxxU2NT
Configuration register is 0xF

From: Doug McIntyre on
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> writes:
>I am a newbie, so please forgive what might be a really silly question, but
>couldn't find this in the doc or on google.

>I have a 2924 EN XL switch. Purchased used from EBAY. It came from a large
>drinks maker that competes against an Atlanta based one. (note to them:
>when you sell switches, you might consider zapping your configuration files
> that contain clear text passwords).

Its worse when people sell used NAS servers with all their data on it.

>However, I tried the HTTP configuration , but I am at a loss. All the
>documentation I have point to the first item on the home page pointing to
>"Visual Switch Manager".

>I get "Cluster Management Suite" which points to "homepage.htm". If I click
>on it, it says "page not found".

I wouldn't say that the web configuration was all that grand on this
series switch in the first place, but it sounds like the proper files
aren't loaded on the flash: device. What do you see with a 'dir flash:'?

>Is there a CLI command I can enter to make the switch serve the CVSM
>instead of the cluster management suite ? (this is a single, lonely switch,
>so no need for cluster stuff)

Not sure what you are asking here. You should probably just do a
'write erase' and reboot and start from scratch anyway. The defaults
are all very reasonable values for a single-standalone-switch.

>So I need to download extra software to the switch ?

Most likely.

>Some of the doc I have seen also allude to the need to have some plug-ins
>on the client browsers. is that the case, or is the CVSM simple html and/or
>JAVA ?

Its all java, very dependant on JVM versions too (still to this date
as well :( I suspect very few people actually use the web config
things on Cisco gear.

>Finally, on that home page, one can also enter CLI commands. However, it
>mentions levels 0 to 15. What are those levels ? on CLI, I am only aware of
>two. (basic access, and the "enable" access which allows me to configure
>the switch).

You've got it for the default two. level 0 is your basic console CLI.
Level 15 is enabled. You could setup more levels if you wish, and give
different security levels to different users if you wish. Not much
point on a switch, but on routers, it gets more interesting.

From: JF Mezei on
Doug McIntyre wrote:
> I wouldn't say that the web configuration was all that grand on this
> series switch in the first place, but it sounds like the proper files
> aren't loaded on the flash: device. What do you see with a 'dir flash:'?

>SWITCH1#dir flash:
>Directory of flash:/
>
> 2 -rwx 1803795 Mar 31 2004 20:42:46 c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC9.bin
> 4 -rwx 25 Mar 01 1993 00:00:27 snmpengineid
> 5 -rwx 4640 Apr 26 2005 16:03:57 config.old
> 6 -rwx 616 Mar 01 1993 01:37:11 vlan.dat
> 7 -rwx 2286 Dec 27 2006 11:44:28 config.text
>
>3612672 bytes total (1798144 bytes free)

config.old was the config of the previous owner (config.text renamed to
..old during password recovery, but in the end, I started the config from
scratch and haven't gotten to deleting config.old).

> Not sure what you are asking here. You should probably just do a
> 'write erase' and reboot and start from scratch anyway. The defaults
> are all very reasonable values for a single-standalone-switch.

Well, I've already put the switch in production so rebooting it would cause
my VMS cluster to go down. Not the end of the world, but those are things I
try to avoid :-)

>>So I need to download extra software to the switch ?
> Most likely.

Bummer... Strange that there would already be the HTTP server and some
basic HTTP functionality, but that they would have omitted the extra HTML
and java files. I take it those are all bundled into the software file
(c2900xl-*.WC9.bin ?)

> Its all java, very dependant on JVM versions too (still to this date
> as well :( I suspect very few people actually use the web config
> things on Cisco gear.

It seeemed neat to be able to get a status of ports in one screenfull. I
guess I may give SNMP a try, perhaps that can give me a good snapshot as well.

> You've got it for the default two. level 0 is your basic console CLI.
> Level 15 is enabled. You could setup more levels if you wish,

Many thanks. Neat to see so much software/functionality in a switch.
From: Drake on

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote in message
> >SWITCH1#dir flash:
> >Directory of flash:/
> >
> > 2 -rwx 1803795 Mar 31 2004 20:42:46
> > c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC9.bin
> > 4 -rwx 25 Mar 01 1993 00:00:27 snmpengineid
> > 5 -rwx 4640 Apr 26 2005 16:03:57 config.old
> > 6 -rwx 616 Mar 01 1993 01:37:11 vlan.dat
> > 7 -rwx 2286 Dec 27 2006 11:44:28 config.text
> >
> >3612672 bytes total (1798144 bytes free)

You are missing some files. You should have a directory called html
that contains the web pages and java scripts. You need a file such
as: c2900xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC15.tar which contains the bin file
plus the html directory.

From: Doug McIntyre on
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> writes:
>Bummer... Strange that there would already be the HTTP server and some
>basic HTTP functionality, but that they would have omitted the extra HTML
>and java files. I take it those are all bundled into the software file
>(c2900xl-*.WC9.bin ?)

No, the bin file is just the kernel for the interface for the
switch. The web interface was all seperate files in an html
directory. On just about any cisco product, the web interface always
seems an addon that controls the switch through CLI/SNMP, its never
very integrated in.

Looks like the webfiles are gone from your switch.