From: Carlos on
I've had success with the Prolific pl2303-based usb-to-serial dongle on
my Powerbook configuring Cisco routers via the console port. I recently
tried connecting to a Catalyst 1900 and couldn't get it to work. All I
get are the strings "ATQ0H0" and "ATQ0Z0". Port is setup 9600/N/8/1 as
usual. Sending a "break" causes alternate responses of ATQ0h0 and
ATZ0H0.

Tried using a legacy Mac as well as a Windows PeeCee, both with
built-in serial ports, both worked. I need to make sure this works on
my Powerbook since it's the machine I'll be using for on-site setup.

Thanks,

Carlos

From: Wil Schultz on
Carlos wrote:
> I've had success with the Prolific pl2303-based usb-to-serial dongle on
> my Powerbook configuring Cisco routers via the console port. I recently
> tried connecting to a Catalyst 1900 and couldn't get it to work. All I
> get are the strings "ATQ0H0" and "ATQ0Z0". Port is setup 9600/N/8/1 as
> usual. Sending a "break" causes alternate responses of ATQ0h0 and ATZ0H0.
>
> Tried using a legacy Mac as well as a Windows PeeCee, both with built-in
> serial ports, both worked. I need to make sure this works on my
> Powerbook since it's the machine I'll be using for on-site setup.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlos

I've been using the keyspan dongle for ages.

Your problem doesn't sound like a dongle problem but maybe your terminal
emulation program. What are you using? Might want to take a look at ZTerm
From: Carlos Trout on
On 2007-01-03 15:15:22 -0500, Wil Schultz <wil(a)SPAMTHIS.org> said:

> Carlos wrote:
>> I've had success with the Prolific pl2303-based usb-to-serial dongle on
>> my Powerbook configuring Cisco routers via the console port. I recently
>> tried connecting to a Catalyst 1900 and couldn't get it to work. All I
>> get are the strings "ATQ0H0" and "ATQ0Z0". Port is setup 9600/N/8/1 as
>> usual. Sending a "break" causes alternate responses of ATQ0h0 and
>> ATZ0H0.
>>
>> Tried using a legacy Mac as well as a Windows PeeCee, both with
>> built-in serial ports, both worked. I need to make sure this works on
>> my Powerbook since it's the machine I'll be using for on-site setup.
>>

> I've been using the keyspan dongle for ages.
>
> Your problem doesn't sound like a dongle problem but maybe your
> terminal emulation program. What are you using? Might want to take a
> look at ZTerm

Using ZTerm both on the PowerBook with Prolific USB-Serial as well as
on the Legacy Mac with built-in serial. Also tried QuickTerm with the
same results. Tried both USB ports on the PowerBook, no change. While
it may be the terminal emulation program, I can't for the life of me
figure out what's causing it. And again, it works fine on OS 9 machine
with the same carbon-version of ZTerm.

From: Wil Schultz on
Carlos Trout wrote:
> On 2007-01-03 15:15:22 -0500, Wil Schultz <wil(a)SPAMTHIS.org> said:
>
>> Carlos wrote:
>>> I've had success with the Prolific pl2303-based usb-to-serial dongle
>>> on my Powerbook configuring Cisco routers via the console port. I
>>> recently tried connecting to a Catalyst 1900 and couldn't get it to
>>> work. All I get are the strings "ATQ0H0" and "ATQ0Z0". Port is setup
>>> 9600/N/8/1 as usual. Sending a "break" causes alternate responses of
>>> ATQ0h0 and ATZ0H0.
>>>
>>> Tried using a legacy Mac as well as a Windows PeeCee, both with
>>> built-in serial ports, both worked. I need to make sure this works on
>>> my Powerbook since it's the machine I'll be using for on-site setup.
>>>

>> I've been using the keyspan dongle for ages.
>>
>> Your problem doesn't sound like a dongle problem but maybe your
>> terminal emulation program. What are you using? Might want to take a
>> look at ZTerm
>
> Using ZTerm both on the PowerBook with Prolific USB-Serial as well as on
> the Legacy Mac with built-in serial. Also tried QuickTerm with the same
> results. Tried both USB ports on the PowerBook, no change. While it may
> be the terminal emulation program, I can't for the life of me figure out
> what's causing it. And again, it works fine on OS 9 machine with the
> same carbon-version of ZTerm.

Have you tried using a null modem adapter? They cost less than $5 and
will possibly fix this for you. If not, you will have to make your own
cable: http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=643

-Wil
From: Bod43 on

Wil Schultz wrote:
> Carlos Trout wrote:

> >> I've been using the keyspan dongle for ages.
> >>
> >> Your problem doesn't sound like a dongle problem but maybe your
> >> terminal emulation program. What are you using? Might want to take a
> >> look at ZTerm
> >
> > Using ZTerm both on the PowerBook with Prolific USB-Serial as well as on
> > the Legacy Mac with built-in serial. Also tried QuickTerm with the same
> > results. Tried both USB ports on the PowerBook, no change. While it may
> > be the terminal emulation program, I can't for the life of me figure out
> > what's causing it. And again, it works fine on OS 9 machine with the
> > same carbon-version of ZTerm.
> >

> Have you tried using a null modem adapter? They cost less than $5 and
> will possibly fix this for you. If not, you will have to make your own
> cable: http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=643

The switch thinks it is connected to a modem and is
sending modem configuration strings.

I am not an expert with modems and I have never
configured one to work on a Cisco.

There seem two possibilities.

1.
The Cisco is configured to do this.

2.
Maybe your serial port is toggling some of the
control lines that is making the cisco think that
it is connected to a modem.

1900 is pretty old and the usual Cisco
recovery processes are not applicable
so I can't help further.

You could always try to connect to it using modems.
Might be worth finding out what these
particular strings mean.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps574/tsd_products_support_eol_series_home.html