From: Michael Soibelman on
I've been off line now for 8+ weeks and I need help A.S.A.P.....

My new 'situation' for connecting to the internet is thru a 2Wire USB
dongle...

Due to extenuating circumstances I have to cooperate with other (Windows©)
users in order to access the net. I could run a Cat5 cable but I'd rather
not at this point. The setup includes a 2wire DSL modem.. This connects to
the phone line and to the computers' ethernet card via cat5 cable.. .
Nothing special.

Now somehow anyone else can take a 2Wire© USB dongle and plug it into any
phone jack and plug the other end into a USB port on their computer and
connect to the network. I suppose they're using some sort of duplex over
the phone line to propagate the signal back from the dsl modem to the phone
line in the house...

I really want to know how to use one of these contraptions
(phone-jack-to-USB-dongle) in openSUSE (11.1). It just works in Windows©
so it must be simple (I hope)...

Any one have this working or know where to read a good HOWTO/tutorial ???

(In other words how do I use the dongle to hook up to my ISP (AT&T) thru my
USB port...)
From: Bob Bob on
Hi Michael

Looking at their website http://support.2wire.com/

From the search box;

Question
Does the HomePortal work with Linux, FreeBSD, and other operating systems?

Answer
The HomePortal works with all manner of network devices that are based
on the Internet Protocol (IP), which includes Linux, FreeBSD, Unix, and
network connected devices.

Of course it didnt help with how to attach the thing!

Hang On.. Maybe it connects to a supplied box in USB networking mode,
like running PPPoe to a cable modem USB socket or something similar.

And;

Question
Is the HomePortal USB connection supported for Win XP computers?

Answer
Yes. Customers who wish to use the HomePortal direct USB connection with
a Windows XP computer should refer to the information provided in the
support section of the 2Wire Web site (http://support.2wire.com). A
Windows XP compatible USB driver is available for download from this
location.

Of course there is only a Mac and Win driver available

Okay so you need something that turns your USB port into a network port.
Nothing magic there. Of course if you are in wireless range it might be
simpler.

There appears to be a USBNET kernel module? See if you can add a device
through YAsT etc. There seems to be a USB port adapter available under
11.0. Just add it and see if it works!

I could keep searching but it would be better for you to try!

Cheers Bob