From: Ron Hardin on
To accommodate more than 50 mac addresses, a 2nd
wireless access point seems to be called for.

Would it be cleanest to set one up as an
independent network name (I assume its ip address
can be changed from the default of 192.168.1.245
so it won't interfere with the other one)?

Or is one of the confusing repeater or extender or
whatever modes called for instead.

The idea would be to put additional mac addresses
in the 2nd wireless access point, and I guess run
them on a different channel.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Christopher Muto on
typically an access point does not act as a dhcp server (that it is to say
they are not typically configured to issue network address). typically the
network server or network router performs the task of a dhcp server. and
typically a linksys router is set to issue only 50 ip address but that is a
simple setting in the router that can be changed. let us know more details
about the whole network you are trying to configure and perhaps we can give
you more meaningful suggestions on how to proceed.

From: Tom Scales on
I run two of them plus a router and they all have the same SSID (and
different IP). I don't have over 50 machines, but this way you can walk
around without issue and it moves from AP to AP.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> To accommodate more than 50 mac addresses, a 2nd
> wireless access point seems to be called for.

The wireless router should handle more than that, although you may run
out of places to put MAC addresses in if you are using a MAC address
filter. (I've run my Buffalo WHR-G54S with DD-WRT past that, but only
on a mix of wired and wireless clients.)

Some of the Linksys routers and access points lack enough RAM to avoid
memory exhaustion and will crash or "weird out".

Even if you do get 50 wireless clients (!!!!) on one network, it's
very likely that performance will suffer terribly.

William
From: Christopher Muto on
i think i understand your problem now... you are using mac filtering and
that linksys/cisco wap54g only has a table to enter 50 address.
i don't think you want to add another access point, i think you want a new
access point that can handle a bigger list... and one that can have the
configuration backed up to a file, and that can have other advanced
features. i like the dlink access points in business settings. the
dwl3200ap can be had for under $200 and should do everything that you need.
it is also capable of running poe which makes installation very clean and
neat with only the need to run a single network cable to it.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=396