From: Michael on
Jim Brain,

For us guys that do not know all the abbreviations but buy the stuff
you make, what does EX3/EX2+1 mean and can I have multiple cartridges
turned on at one time?

Michael
From: mrtinbspam on
On 27 Jan., 07:24, Jim Brain <br...(a)jbrain.com> wrote:
> Trying to fill a small gap, I'm working on a 3 slot expansion port
> solution ala EX-3 of FB-EX3. Here is a first cut of the PCB design:
>
> http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/xpansion/ext3_d
>
> It contains the normal EX3/EX2+1 items, + the additions that Fotios put
> on his FB-EX3.
>
> Comments are appreciated. Some things I'm curious about:
>
>      * Is the switch location OK, or do people need them off to the side?
>      * Does anyone want a top slot for the 3rd slot? or is the back
> entry desired?
>      * Any other features besides the existing ones that are desired?
>
> Jim

I was thinking about a simpler design.

A simple expansion pass-thru board with ribbon-cable-pins in the
middle.
The ribbon-cable would have female-pin-connector in one end and female-
edge-connector in the other end (like old 5 1/4" ibm drive ribbon
cable).

This way you could simply use the ribon cable for expansion port #2.
If you need three ports, you add another pass-thru board at the end of
ribbon-cable.

This way you could add as many expansion you like.

(http://www.rtin.be/dox/expansion-thru.gif)

I know it is more complicated than this, but I like the idea not
having all expansions "up in the air". With the ribbon cable is more
flexible, and maybe you don't need 6 inches of expansions behind your
C64.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy hacking

/mrtinb
From: cts3000 on
I've been looking around for awhile for one of these. So I'd buy one.

Chris

From: BruceMcF on
On Jan 27, 1:24 am, Jim Brain <br...(a)jbrain.com> wrote:
> Trying to fill a small gap, I'm working on a 3 slot expansion port
> solution ala EX-3 of FB-EX3. Here is a first cut of the PCB design:

> Comments are appreciated. Some things I'm curious about:
>
>      * Is the switch location OK, or do people need them off to the side?

Where is the switch location on the diagram, in the white circles in
front of each slot? I like a reset switch to be easy to reach (for the
longest time the only cartridge I had was a WarpSpeed), but the
settings of which select line goes to which cartridge doesn't have to
be.

>      * Does anyone want a top slot for the 3rd slot? or is the back
> entry desired?

I prefer the back entry. A program cart or an el-cheapo wired-or
compact flash cart could be sticking up, but I prefer that a serial
interface cart not be.

>      * Any other features besides the existing ones that are desired?

Nope, the extra features go into the carts plugged into it.

From: BruceMcF on
On Jan 27, 2:18 am, Jim Brain <br...(a)jbrain.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/2010 12:56 AM, KilrPilr wrote:
>
> > A small feature that I would like to see added is a 20mhz cpu accelerator
> > with 128MB non volatile ram. That is if you have some time to spare. :)
>
> It's under the board... Look for it.
>
> Jim

Ah, in your voluminous spare time, add in a wired-or CF slot under the
board. There is of course no software support as of yet, but with
three cartridge slots, once there *is* software support, it can just
be banged into a cartridge.

Note: the fact that this is a port expander and so a cheap wired-or CF
slot is made *cheaper* and *more compatible* by plugging it into one
cartridge port with its support cartridge plugged into another should
simply be overlooked when considering this feature request. ;)