From: Karl on

IIS on Server 2003.

I've removed some resources from our web site and I want to set up
redirects.

Is there no way to create a redirect for a deleted htm file? From what I
see, the resource has to exist on web site, before IIS lets the redirect
be created. Am I doing something wrong?

TIA.
From: .._.. on
That is just how it works Just make the resource again, create the
redirect, then leave the resource in place (if you delete it, you will be
unable to manipulate the redirect and it won't show up anywhere in the MMC,
which in turn complicates troubleshooting later.)

From: Grant Taylor on
Karl wrote:
> Is there no way to create a redirect for a deleted htm file? From what I
> see, the resource has to exist on web site, before IIS lets the redirect
> be created. Am I doing something wrong?

It is my (mis)understanding that the limitation is in the IIS manager,
not IIS its self.

I think you can 1) edit the Metabase, or 2) create the file(s), create
the redirect(s), and then delete the file(s).

Again, this may be my /mis/understanding. I have not tried this in a
very long time.

Grant. . . .
From: Karl on

Grant, thanks for your pointer and the explanation. IIS does not
require the "bad" resource to physically be on the server for the
redirect to work.