From: Doug Freyburger on
Artist wrote:

> At first I thought if I had 64 bit hardware the best server performance
> would be had with 64 bit operating system. Now I am not sure because I
> have read about far greater memory usage for the same task on a 64 bit
> OS. I am seeking opinions on whether to have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS in my
> situation.

Generally Moore's Law has led to servers with so much RAM the extra
memory usage is trivial. You aren't on a server.

> The Hardware is an Intel Xeon processor.
> The server is a VPS with 512 MB allocated.

My laptops had twice that much RAM many years ago. You have a memory
choked machine compared to any server class box. That says go with 32
bit because your situation is about dealing with the tiny memory not
about improving performance.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Artist wrote:
>> At first I thought if I had 64 bit hardware the best server performance
>> would be had with 64 bit operating system. Now I am not sure because I
>> have read about far greater memory usage for the same task on a 64 bit
>> OS. I am seeking opinions on whether to have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS in my
>> situation.
>
> Generally Moore's Law has led to servers with so much RAM the extra
> memory usage is trivial. You aren't on a server.
>
>> The Hardware is an Intel Xeon processor.
>> The server is a VPS with 512 MB allocated.
>
> My laptops had twice that much RAM many years ago. You have a memory
> choked machine compared to any server class box. That says go with 32
> bit because your situation is about dealing with the tiny memory not
> about improving performance.

I've got two Debian headless servers running on 512Mbyte..they are both
on 32 bit currently.

Performance apart from graphics image manipulation is excellent.

CPU intensive tasks do choke them a fair bit, but RAM is not a major issue.

Only when rescaling VERY large bitmaps did one go swappy on me.

For a few users, this sort of RAM is entirely adequate: the killer is
when you have 100 plus concurrent web server sessions, that's when you
hot the memory limits.

So for low traffic sites, fine.
From: Artist on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Artist wrote:
>>> At first I thought if I had 64 bit hardware the best server
>>> performance would be had with 64 bit operating system. Now I am not
>>> sure because I have read about far greater memory usage for the same
>>> task on a 64 bit OS. I am seeking opinions on whether to have a 32
>>> bit or 64 bit OS in my situation.
>>
>> Generally Moore's Law has led to servers with so much RAM the extra
>> memory usage is trivial. You aren't on a server.
>>
>>> The Hardware is an Intel Xeon processor.
>>> The server is a VPS with 512 MB allocated.
>>
>> My laptops had twice that much RAM many years ago. You have a memory
>> choked machine compared to any server class box. That says go with 32
>> bit because your situation is about dealing with the tiny memory not
>> about improving performance.
>
> I've got two Debian headless servers running on 512Mbyte..they are both
> on 32 bit currently.
>
> Performance apart from graphics image manipulation is excellent.
>
> CPU intensive tasks do choke them a fair bit, but RAM is not a major issue.
>
> Only when rescaling VERY large bitmaps did one go swappy on me.
>
> For a few users, this sort of RAM is entirely adequate: the killer is
> when you have 100 plus concurrent web server sessions, that's when you
> hot the memory limits.
>
> So for low traffic sites, fine.

The website is expected to eventually have a lot of traffic. 100 plus is
concurrent sessions is well within the realm of possibility.

--
To reply directly remove the sj. from my email address. This is a spam
jammer.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Artist wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>>>
>>> Generally Moore's Law has led to servers with so much RAM the extra
>>> memory usage is trivial. You aren't on a server.

>>> My laptops had twice that much RAM many years ago. You have a memory
>>> choked machine compared to any server class box. That says go with 32
>>> bit because your situation is about dealing with the tiny memory not
>>> about improving performance.
>>
>> I've got two Debian headless servers running on 512Mbyte..they are both
>> on 32 bit currently.
>>
>> Performance apart from graphics image manipulation is excellent.
>>
>> CPU intensive tasks do choke them a fair bit, but RAM is not a major
>> issue.
>>
>> Only when rescaling VERY large bitmaps did one go swappy on me.
>>
>> For a few users, this sort of RAM is entirely adequate: the killer is
>> when you have 100 plus concurrent web server sessions, that's when you
>> hot the memory limits.
>>
>> So for low traffic sites, fine.
>
> The website is expected to eventually have a lot of traffic. 100 plus is
> concurrent sessions is well within the realm of possibility.

Well MOSTLY what concurrent sessions need is lots of RAM.

If you are heading to that level, it begs the question of whether you
should be on a shared server at all.