From: Artist on
At first I thought if I had 64 bit hardware the best server performance
would be had with 64 bit operating system. Now I am not sure because I
have read about far greater memory usage for the same task on a 64 bit
OS. I am seeking opinions on whether to have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS in my
situation.

The Hardware is an Intel Xeon processor.
The server is a VPS with 512 MB allocated.
The OS will be a guest of XenServer.
The website will be run by Drupal which requires the execution of lot of
PHP code and several database queries for each web page served.
Memcached, XCache and Fast CGI will be in use. The server will be Lighttp.
If 32 bit the OS will probably be Debian Lenny.

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: John Reiser on
> I am seeking opinions on whether to have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS in my
> situation.
>
> The Hardware is an Intel Xeon processor.
> The server is a VPS with 512 MB allocated.
> The OS will be a guest of XenServer.

Ask the hosting service which one they prefer, or which one most of the
other clients are using.

From: Artist on
Matt Giwer wrote:
> So I would ask if
> what you are serving will benefit from faster service as in a business
> office LAN or not much benefit at all if it is stuffing data down a pipe
> to the web which is limited by the downstream bandwidth. If the former
> then 64. If the latter then 32.

It is going to the web.

From: Matt Giwer on
On 03/12/2010 04:51 PM, Artist wrote:
> Matt Giwer wrote:
>> So I would ask if what you are serving will benefit from faster
>> service as in a business office LAN or not much benefit at all if it
>> is stuffing data down a pipe to the web which is limited by the
>> downstream bandwidth. If the former then 64. If the latter then 32.

> It is going to the web.

Again, I have limited experience and am a home user but for ten years and I
experiment. I do have Apache running on one for the LAN but load is
understandably modest. ;) I have been through the 8 to 16 to 32 and the 32 to
64 appears to be roughly the same as the other transitions.

I would go with 32 bit OS and use the RAM for additional instances of servers
and see how it goes. Get Siege to stress test the result if you expect a lot
of interest. If you are not in a hurry, stress test both and let us know which
is better.

--
Zionism is the legal theory that Jews have a right
to quiet possession of stolen property.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Artist wrote:
> Matt Giwer wrote:
>> So I would ask if what you are serving will benefit from faster
>> service as in a business office LAN or not much benefit at all if it
>> is stuffing data down a pipe to the web which is limited by the
>> downstream bandwidth. If the former then 64. If the latter then 32.
>>

> It is going to the web.

The reality is, that 32 bit wont hurt much at all.

Only if you are doing very complex database searches, or manipulation of
large bitmaps, will CPU performance impact on anything.