From: Cornelia on
Dear all,

I'd like to plot 3d data where the x and y data do not build a
rectangle as required by the surf plot. I also do not want to
interpolate the data. The data are a set of points calculated
numerically. How can I plot these data?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Cornelia
From: John D'Errico on
In article <ef1277e.-1(a)webx.raydaftYaTP>, Cornelia <cg.forum(a)arcor.de>
wrote:

> I'd like to plot 3d data where the x and y data do not build a
> rectangle as required by the surf plot. I also do not want to
> interpolate the data. The data are a set of points calculated
> numerically. How can I plot these data?

Use delaunay followed by trimesh or trisurf.

xy = rand(100,2);
z = exp(sum(xy,2));

tri = delaunay(xy(:,1),xy(:,2));
trisurf(tri,xy(:,1),xy(:,2),z)

HTH,
John D'Errico

--
The best material model of a cat is another, or
preferably the same, cat.
From: Tim Love on
Cornelia <cg.forum(a)arcor.de> writes:

>I'd like to plot 3d data ... I also do not want to
>interpolate the data.
If you want a surface, something has to decide where the surface
is going to be between the data points, doesn't it? Are you
prepared for someone (or something) else to interpolate the data
for you?