From: J. Clarke on
On 7/28/2010 4:08 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> "J. Clarke"<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> On 7/28/2010 1:27 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
>>> "Bob La Londe"<nospam(a)nospam.no> fired this volley in news:i2posm$35v$1
>>> @news.eternal-september.org:

>>> I noticed it's "dino-ware". It runs under DOS with VESA drivers, for
>>> criminy sake!
>>>
>>> It sounds like a 1980s platform that someone has been performing
>>> artificial respiration on; has kept adding to and "improving" it without
>>> ever adding any abstraction layers. He even states that it "talks
>>> directly to devices".
>>>
>>> That might make it very fast and capable of driving hardware accurately,
>>> but would also make it impossible to keep up-to-date, and would tend to
>>> keep the interface so very primitive as to scare off almost everybody but
>>> die-hard hardware types.
>>>
>>> I know none of this for sure, having not run it. But it looks from the
>>> docs to be very primitive.
>>>
>>> Besides, I don't have any old 8088-based DOS3.1 machines to run it on
>>> <G>.
>>
>> FWIW, the last file date is some time in 1999. Vista 64-bit won't even
>> try to run it, however it might run on a virtual machine.
>>
>> Also FWIW, if somebody wants dino-ware CAD and can find a copy, Cadkey put
>> their final DOS version up on their web site one year as a Christmas
>> present to their customers--no strings whatsoever for free. Alas I lost
>> my copy back before I learned to keep good backups. For its time that was
>> a sweet piece of software.
>
> I think I still have my copy, but no floppy-disk drive from which to load
> it.

This discussion brings back memories.

I used to moonlight in a strip mall cloneworks that was downstairs from
Cadkey--much of the early development was done on machines that I
built--I don't claim that that was due to any particular superiority to
my construction, but proximity makes up for a multitude of sins.

Still remember Peter's black Saab with license number C-HACKR parked out
front.

In the day job I was using it to develop structural models that were fed
into a finite element program--IIRC I had it programmed to generate the
input file directly from the geometry.

From: Michael A. Terrell on

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

> "Bob La Londe" <nospam(a)nospam.no> fired this volley in news:i2posm$35v$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
> > Ok, I'll bite. Is it really free?
> >
> > Is it time limited or executions limited?
> >
> > Is it share ware?
> >
> > Is it cripple ware?
> >
> > I visited the page and noticed there is "PD Sales" link, but no price.
>
> I noticed it's "dino-ware". It runs under DOS with VESA drivers, for
> criminy sake!
>
> It sounds like a 1980s platform that someone has been performing
> artificial respiration on; has kept adding to and "improving" it without
> ever adding any abstraction layers. He even states that it "talks
> directly to devices".
>
> That might make it very fast and capable of driving hardware accurately,
> but would also make it impossible to keep up-to-date, and would tend to
> keep the interface so very primitive as to scare off almost everybody but
> die-hard hardware types.
>
> I know none of this for sure, having not run it. But it looks from the
> docs to be very primitive.
>
> Besides, I don't have any old 8088-based DOS3.1 machines to run it on
> <G>.

How many do you want?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Lloyd E. Sponenburgh on
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> fired this volley in

> How many do you want?

Not any, thanks. I'm much happier (and I think safer and more
"maintainable") running my machine duties on Linux.

LLoyd
From: Ed Huntress on

> On 7/28/2010 4:08 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>> "J. Clarke"<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>>> FWIW, the last file date is some time in 1999. Vista 64-bit won't even
>>> try to run it, however it might run on a virtual machine.
>>>
>>> Also FWIW, if somebody wants dino-ware CAD and can find a copy, Cadkey
>>> put
>>> their final DOS version up on their web site one year as a Christmas
>>> present to their customers--no strings whatsoever for free. Alas I lost
>>> my copy back before I learned to keep good backups. For its time that
>>> was
>>> a sweet piece of software.
>>
>> I think I still have my copy, but no floppy-disk drive from which to load
>> it.
>
> This discussion brings back memories.
>
> I used to moonlight in a strip mall cloneworks that was downstairs from
> Cadkey--much of the early development was done on machines that I built--I
> don't claim that that was due to any particular superiority to my
> construction, but proximity makes up for a multitude of sins.
>
> Still remember Peter's black Saab with license number C-HACKR parked out
> front.
>
> In the day job I was using it to develop structural models that were fed
> into a finite element program--IIRC I had it programmed to generate the
> input file directly from the geometry.

That must have been energizing, and pretty exciting, work. Finite element
analysis was a revolution.

--
Ed Huntress

From: J. Clarke on
On 7/29/2010 9:17 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
> "J. Clarke"<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> On 7/28/2010 4:08 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
>>> "J. Clarke"<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>>> I think I still have my copy, but no floppy-disk drive from which to load
>>> it.
>>
>> This discussion brings back memories.
>>
>> I used to moonlight in a strip mall cloneworks that was downstairs from
>> Cadkey--much of the early development was done on machines that I built--I
>> don't claim that that was due to any particular superiority to my
>> construction, but proximity makes up for a multitude of sins.
>>
>> Still remember Peter's black Saab with license number C-HACKR parked out
>> front.
>>
>> In the day job I was using it to develop structural models that were fed
>> into a finite element program--IIRC I had it programmed to generate the
>> input file directly from the geometry.
>
> That must have been energizing, and pretty exciting, work. Finite element
> analysis was a revolution.

It was fun, been more if I'd had a clue what I was doing.