From: Michael A. Terrell on

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" ?mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net? fired this volley in
>
> ?
> ? When was the last time anyone saw a virus for DOS? :)
>
> When was the last time anyone CARED? Dos had a whole repertoire of its own
> built-in, permanently disastrous bugs.
>
> Mr. Gates never cared for his users or from whom he stole the base
> operating system. Why should we pine for unreliable, pirated software?
>
> (BSOD ring any bells? Small and spaghetti'd-up isn't much better than big
> and spaghetti'd up, except you waste less storage backing it up.)

A lot of old EPROM and other device programmers only ran under DOS,
so I kept spare machines and motherboards modifed to 640KB. I don't
remeber ever seing a BSOD under DOS. Windows 3.1 and later, yes.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Lloyd E. Sponenburgh on

> A lot of old EPROM and other device programmers only ran under DOS,
> so I kept spare machines and motherboards modifed to 640KB.

You talkin' about bus-interfaced boards, or serial port devices? There's
not much that DOS could ever do over a serial port that can't be done now
over a decent USB-serial dongle. (W95 made us fear we'd lost the serial
port, but it's back)

LLoyd
From: Bill Noble on
if anyone wants a 286 motherboard with RAM on it (worked when I put it
aside) - full sized, drop me a note (get my email from my web site,
www.wbnoble.com) - I'd sure love to pawn it off on someone foolish enough to
want it (oops, find it a new loving home) I figure the RAM on it makes it
worth about $10

From: Bob La Londe on
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
>>
>> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> fired this volley in
>>
>> > How many do you want?
>>
>> Not any, thanks. I'm much happier (and I think safer and more
>> "maintainable") running my machine duties on Linux.
>

> When was the last time anyone saw a virus for DOS? :)

The Pong virus is the last one I recall.

From: Bob La Londe on
"Bill Noble" <nobody(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> if anyone wants a 286 motherboard with RAM on it (worked when I put it
> aside) - full sized,

Do they even still make cases that will hold a full size motherboard.