From: Rob on
It is my exchange system that has the issue; here is the email that my
Exchange box sends me. Domain names modified to hide thier true location.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

Zygoumis Macris, Zafy
The format of the recipient's e-mail address isn't valid. A valid address
looks like this: username(a)contoso.com. Microsoft Exchange will not try to
redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try
sending the message again, or provide the following diagnostic text to your
system administrator.

_____
Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mag1exch.cement.ca

user_domain(a)something-else.gc.ca
#550 5.1.3 STOREDRV.Submit; invalid recipient address #SMTP#

Original message headers:

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:20:01 -0800, Rob <Rob(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>It is my exchange system that has the issue; here is the email that my
>Exchange box sends me. Domain names modified to hide thier true location.

Your server doesn't reject addresses with underscores in the <user>
part of the address.

Here's the report from your server when it receives such an address:

post_master(a)cement.ca
The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's
e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this
message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending
this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your
system administrator.

It's easy enough to check. Use telnet and connect to your hub
transport server. Use your email address in the MAIL FROM and some
bogus address in your domain (with an underscore in the <user> part)
in the RCPT TO. Do you get the 550 5.1.3 error? If not, then your
server isn't the one that rejected the RCPT TO,

Your protocol log files will show you the RCPT TO command and the
status it received, so there's no need to guess which server rejected
the RCPT TO.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Matt V on
I am having this same problem with our Exh 2007 server. This has happened
when I try to send text messages to our employees cell phones. Email address
format is:
1234567890(a)messaging.phoneco.com
This used to work on our Exch 2000 server.

I also made a yahoo account with an underscore in the email address and this
too was rejected. It was something like abc_1234(a)yahoo.com

Is there a format setting on the Exch 2007 ESM that needs to be changed?

thanks.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:29:07 -0800, Matt V
<MattV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having this same problem with our Exh 2007 server. This has happened
>when I try to send text messages to our employees cell phones. Email address
>format is:
>1234567890(a)messaging.phoneco.com
>This used to work on our Exch 2000 server.
>
>I also made a yahoo account with an underscore in the email address and this
>too was rejected. It was something like abc_1234(a)yahoo.com

And you see those rejected RCPT TO commands in the receive logs on the
hub transport server? Or in the send logs?

>Is there a format setting on the Exch 2007 ESM that needs to be changed?

No. At least none that I'm aware of.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP