From: Rob on
I have a exchange 2007 implimentation and I am running into a issue where
some destination email addresses are not being accepted and are reporting the
error listed in the topic.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

The format of the recipient's e-mail address isn't valid. A valid address
looks like this: username(a)contoso.com. Microsoft Exchange will not try to
redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try
sending the message again, or provide the following diagnostic text to your
system administrator.

5.1.3: The format of the recipient e-mail address is not valid. Valid SMTP
e-mail addresses can contain only letters, numbers, hyphens, periods, and
only one @ symbol. Troubleshooting: Verify that the SMTP address of the
recipient is formatted correctly and resend the message.

The addresses that I've had issues wtih were formatted in this fashion

first.last(a)some-domain.gc.ca
fist_last(a)some-domain.gc.ca

Both are valid receipients and exchange says that a address cannot contain a
underscore and the other one appears to be blocked because the email address
has a period in it before the @ symbol. I'm sure this is a easy fix but I
have no idea where to define the smtp policy framework.
From: Bharat Suneja [MSFT] on
- According to RFC 2822, the local-part cannot have a period before the @
symbol unless you're using quoted strings. (RFC 2822).
joe.(a)foo.com = not good
"joe."@foo.com = ok.

- Try adding the above addresses using the e-mail addresses tab in EMC.
Email addresses are validated. When trying to add the former, you'll get an
error saying it's an invalid email address.

- Underscores are OK.

--
Bharat Suneja
Microsoft Corporation

rights. Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.
----------------------------

From: Andy David {MVP} on
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:00:41 -0800, "Bharat Suneja [MSFT]"
<bsuneja(a)online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>- According to RFC 2822, the local-part cannot have a period before the @
>symbol unless you're using quoted strings. (RFC 2822).
>joe.(a)foo.com = not good
>"joe."@foo.com = ok.
>
>- Try adding the above addresses using the e-mail addresses tab in EMC.
>Email addresses are validated. When trying to add the former, you'll get an
>error saying it's an invalid email address.
>
>- Underscores are OK.

C'mon Bharat, get with the times! Its RFC 5322 now! :P

From: Rob on
One of the messages I'm dealing with at the moment is
first_last(a)some-domain.gc.ca; my good friend Exchange tells me this is
invalid. When I use a outside mail system it deliveres correctly to the
receipient. I will test the "first_last"@some-domain.gc.ca and let you know.
It seems odd how Exchange 2007 SP1 has issues with these email addresses mind
you.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 06:28:10 -0800, Rob
<Rob(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>One of the messages I'm dealing with at the moment is
>first_last(a)some-domain.gc.ca; my good friend Exchange tells me this is
>invalid.

I don't think it's Exchange that's complaining. There's nothing wrong
with an underscore in the <user> part of the address. I've seen
3rd-party software that doesn't like it, and I've seen other mail
systems configured in ways that refuse to accept "legal" addresses. I
think you should check to see what's running on your server (or what's
sitting between your server an the sender that's acting as a SMTP
proxy or "email firewall").

>When I use a outside mail system it deliveres correctly to the
>receipient. I will test the "first_last"@some-domain.gc.ca and let you know.
>It seems odd how Exchange 2007 SP1 has issues with these email addresses mind
>you.

It won't seem odd after you find the real culprit. :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP