From: Smitty Two on
In article <i1td8b$gv3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> I wasn't mislead. Given the differenc in price, it was obvious it wasn't
> Kester.

But it was, grasshopper. You paid too much, because you bought it from a
hobby supplier.
From: William Sommerwerck on
> AH-SO! At last we're communicating. Yep, usenet is tough that way
> sometimes. Here's the missing piece: The solder I buy IS KESTER. The
> EXACT same stuff that you buy. Only two differences: The disparity in
> formulations is less, and the price is roughly half.

Fascinating. Perhaps someone, somewhere will have an explanation.

From: William Sommerwerck on
>> I wasn't mislead. Given the differenc in price, it was obvious
>> it wasn't Kester.

> But it was, grasshopper. You paid too much, because you
> bought it from a hobby supplier.

Actually, I bought the solder at least 20 years ago, and I believe it came
from an electronics-supply store, not a "hobby supplier". I also paid less
than $10.

From: Phil Hobbs on
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder>
>>> This got my attention:
>>> Some alloys, namely of lead and to some degree tin, contain small
>>> but significant amounts of radioisotope impurities. The
>>> radioisotopes undergoing alpha decay are a concern due to their
>>> tendency to cause soft errors. Polonium-210 is especially
>>> problematic; lead-210 beta decays to bismuth-210 which then beta
>>> decays to polonium-210, an intense emitter of alpha particles.
>>> Uranium-238 and thorium-232 are other significant contaminants of
>>> lead containing alloys.
>>> Oh swell.... something else to worry about.
>
>> sounds like bullshit, alpha particles aren't energetic enough to get
>> even 1/10 of the way through the encapsulation on a RAM chip.
>
> Correct. The original writer was probably confused by the fact that the
> materials ceramic ICs are made of can contain radioactive materials that can
> cause errors.

No, the alphas from lead are a real problem. Ten years ago, there were
folks going round to churches with lead roofs, offering them a new lead
roof in exchange for their old--and now low-alpha--lead ones.

Same with steel from old battleships.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
From: William Sommerwerck on
>> Correct. The original writer was probably confused by the
>> fact that the materials ceramic ICs are made of can contain
>> radioactive materials that can cause errors.

> No, the alphas from lead are a real problem. Ten years ago, there were
> folks going round to churches with lead roofs, offering them a new lead
> roof in exchange for their old--and now low-alpha--lead ones.

But where is the lead /within/ ICs? (The wires are bonded, not soldered.)
Alpha particles have poor penetrating power.