From: Rui Maciel on
Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?

Thanks in advance,
Rui Maciel
From: Phil Allison on

"Rui Maciel"

> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?

** DMMs use probes - not tips.

Fuckwit.

.... Phil

From: Rich Webb on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:48:58 +0100, Rui Maciel <rui.maciel(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?

If it's the "on-off switch" type and not the "rotate to turn on and
select the function" type then get into the habit of leaving the DMM set
to a moderately high voltage range when you're finished with it.

That prevents those unfortunate learning experiences when one picks up
the DMM for the first time in a month intending to measure a voltage
source -- but it was left in an amperage range and <poof> blows the fuse
(if you're lucky) or the meter (if you're not).

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: Michael Black on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Rui Maciel wrote:

> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?

Buy a cheap one, and start using it. You'll then learn from experience
what is there, and get a better idea of what you might want in the way of
a better DMM. Someone already pointed out the need to be careful or
you'll wreck the meter, a beginner is far more likely to make mistakes
than one with experience, so buying a cheap meter means you won't lose
much if/when you do damage the meter. Or your interest in electronics
won't last, so you haven't spent too much on it by buying the cheap meter.

People could supply a list of "needed test equipment", but you have to be
the judge of what you need and can afford, but you won't get to that point
until you've actually started doing things. So when you can, it is far
better to start with used or cheap equipment, to get a feel for it, which
helps you to make an informed decision when/if you need something better.

I bought my first oscilliscope at an amateur radio auction for five
dollars, it was horrible, heavy and very old almost forty years ago,
but it gave me something to play with, which at that point was mostly what
I wanted a scope for. I learned the basics, and then learned how lousy
that scope was. That seems to be a better situation than being told
what you need, spending the money, and then not knowing what to do with
the scope.

Michael
From: Rui Maciel on
Michael Black wrote:

> Buy a cheap one, and start using it. You'll then learn from experience
> what is there, and get a better idea of what you might want in the way of
> a better DMM. Someone already pointed out the need to be careful or
> you'll wreck the meter, a beginner is far more likely to make mistakes
> than one with experience, so buying a cheap meter means you won't lose
> much if/when you do damage the meter. Or your interest in electronics
> won't last, so you haven't spent too much on it by buying the cheap meter.

Good point. Yet, there are tons of cheap portable DMMs on ebay which, besides external appearance
and what sort of battery they take, appear to lack any relevant difference. Are there any features
that I should look for?

> People could supply a list of "needed test equipment", but you have to be
> the judge of what you need and can afford, but you won't get to that point
> until you've actually started doing things. So when you can, it is far
> better to start with used or cheap equipment, to get a feel for it, which
> helps you to make an informed decision when/if you need something better.
>
> I bought my first oscilliscope at an amateur radio auction for five
> dollars, it was horrible, heavy and very old almost forty years ago,
> but it gave me something to play with, which at that point was mostly what
> I wanted a scope for. I learned the basics, and then learned how lousy
> that scope was. That seems to be a better situation than being told
> what you need, spending the money, and then not knowing what to do with
> the scope.

Thanks for the tip, Michael. You do make a good point.

Thanks for the help,
Rui Maciel