From: Cydrome Leader on
Rui Maciel <rui.maciel(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rui Maciel

here's a few tips

if the meter has a current range, it will act like a short circuit across
the probes. The meter will either blow a fuse or just burn out if you set
it to say a 250mA range and connect it to a large battery or an outlet.

In the volts range, it's much harder to break the meter

measuting the currents and voltages in a flashlight is usually pretty easy
and will let you learn what the meter is doing without breaking anything.

When a DMM acts weird, it may be time for new batteries, even if you think
they are still good.

if the meter has a diode check or continuity mode, it can usually run a
LED, at least if it's a red one.

measure whatever you can, like the output of power supplies that plug into
the wall or stuff like that. The more you do something, the more familiar
it becomes and the more sense it makes in the end.

Electronics is a hands-on activity.

From: amdx on

"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "Rui Maciel"
>
>> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>

> ** DMMs use probes - not tips.
>
> Fuckwit.
>

> ... Phil
ah Phil, sounds like you got up on the right side of the bed.
Mike

From: Phil Allison on

"Jamie"
> Phil Allison wrote:
>
>> "Rui Maciel"
>>

>>>Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>>
>> ** DMMs use probes - not tips.
>>
>> Fuckwit.
>>

> Jesus Phil, is our language that hard to comprehend

** Nope.

But the fuckwit OP needs to learn how to post a meaningful question.

Cos what he just post is not one.

..... Phil

From: Michael A. Terrell on

amdx wrote:

> "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rui Maciel"
> >
> >> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
> >

> > ** DMMs use probes - not tips.
> >
> > Fuckwit.
> >

> > ... Phil
> ah Phil, sounds like you got up on the right side of the bed.

Or fell through the broken seat in the outhouse.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Jamie wrote:

> Rui Maciel wrote:
>
> > Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Rui Maciel
>
> Go to a harborfreight store, if you have one near by or order on line..
>
> They have some that will be fine for first timers..

Sigh. Can't you read? He's in SA, not the US. Shipping costs and
import duty would wipe out any savings ordering one from HF.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.