From: Rich Webb on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:54:34 +0100, Rui Maciel <rui.maciel(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Michael Black wrote:
>
>> Buy a cheap one, and start using it. You'll then learn from experience
>> what is there, and get a better idea of what you might want in the way of
>> a better DMM. Someone already pointed out the need to be careful or
>> you'll wreck the meter, a beginner is far more likely to make mistakes
>> than one with experience, so buying a cheap meter means you won't lose
>> much if/when you do damage the meter. Or your interest in electronics
>> won't last, so you haven't spent too much on it by buying the cheap meter.
>
>Good point. Yet, there are tons of cheap portable DMMs on ebay which, besides external appearance
>and what sort of battery they take, appear to lack any relevant difference. Are there any features
>that I should look for?

A backlight for the display is nice to have.

A "true RMS" meter may be useful on the AC ranges. On the other hand,
the non-"true RMS" meters are set internally to convert average to RMS
for sine wave inputs so, as long as what you're measuring is pretty
close to a sine shape, the results should be close enough for most
purposes. If you really need a 0.1% or better RMS value for odd-shaped
waveforms, you'd probably already know.

Pick up a set of inexpensive banana to mini-clip (or alligator) test
leads. That lets you clip the DMM to the circuit's ground reference and
frees up one hand to do something else, or to clip one to ground and one
to a test point to leave both hands free while you adjust the gizmo.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: Tom Biasi on

"Rui Maciel" <rui.maciel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rui Maciel

Check the position of your probes every time. Many meters have no fuse in
the 20 Amp. position and trying to measure line in this condition will be
dangerous.

Tom

From: Jamie on
Phil Allison wrote:

> "Rui Maciel"
>

>>Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>

> ** DMMs use probes - not tips.
>
> Fuckwit.
>

> ... Phil

Jesus Phil, is our language that hard to comprehend or you guys
down under just don't get it?

P.S.

This should start a fire ball of two!

:)

Jamie

From: Jamie on
Rui Maciel wrote:

> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rui Maciel

Go to a harborfreight store, if you have one near by or order on line..

They have some that will be fine for first timers..

From: stratus46 on
On Jul 14, 8:08 am, Jamie
<jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Phil Allison wrote:
> > "Rui Maciel"
>
> >>Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>
> > **  DMMs use probes -  not tips.
>
> >      Fuckwit.
>
> > ...   Phil
>
> Jesus Phil, is our language that hard to comprehend or you guys
> down under just don't get it?
>
>    P.S.
>
>     This should start a fire ball of two!
>
>   :)
>
>   Jamie

Until I got to the 'F...wit' part, I thought he actually made a joke.
Nice to know of some constants in the universe.