From: David Eather on
On 15/07/2010 12:19 AM, Rich Webb wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:54:34 +0100, Rui Maciel<rui.maciel(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Black wrote:
>>

> Pick up a set of inexpensive banana to mini-clip (or alligator) test
> leads. That lets you clip the DMM to the circuit's ground reference and
> frees up one hand to do something else, or to clip one to ground and one
> to a test point to leave both hands free while you adjust the gizmo.

Definitely agree with the above.

Don't buy from ebay.

These guys (below) sell to a lot of engineers, technicians and
hobbyists. They seem to be reliable.
http://www.dealexcel.com/

This is a good choice for a first multimeter if you are a careful double
checking sort of person.
http://www.dealexcel.com/unit-ut61a-modern-digital-multimeters-4000counts-dmm-sku366_p366.html

This is about as cheap a meter as I would suggest for a first meter.
http://www.dealexcel.com/ut30d-palmsize-digital-multimeters-sku420_p420.html

There is also a similarly named company called www.dealextreme.com They
have a wider range of hobbyist level tools at slightly lower prices.
They are also reliable.

Two other points - buy an energy authority approved soldering iron from
a supplier in your own country - not from ebay or from overseas - and if
your house is not fitted with earth leakage detection get yourself a
portable unit for use with your gear.

Last, throw away any supplied batteries and fit good quality alkaline
like Eveready or Duracell - its not so much for the long life but to
make sure it doesn't leak and wreck your meter (for the $15 meter it
probably doesn't mater)

From: Rui Maciel on
David Eather wrote:

> Definitely agree with the above.
>
> Don't buy from ebay.

Indeed. Ebay does have quite a lot of cheap DMMs but they are all chinese knock-offs. Cheap is
good but I'm not very comfortable contributing to this sort of shenanigans.

> These guys (below) sell to a lot of engineers, technicians and
> hobbyists. They seem to be reliable.
> http://www.dealexcel.com/
>
> This is a good choice for a first multimeter if you are a careful double
> checking sort of person.
> http://www.dealexcel.com/unit-ut61a-modern-digital-multimeters-4000counts-dmm-sku366_p366.html
>
> This is about as cheap a meter as I would suggest for a first meter.
> http://www.dealexcel.com/ut30d-palmsize-digital-multimeters-sku420_p420.html
>

> There is also a similarly named company called www.dealextreme.com They
> have a wider range of hobbyist level tools at slightly lower prices.
> They are also reliable.

Those sites do look good but. Unfortunately, as they are chinese companies it is very possible
that, if I order stuff from them, the customs people would create all sorts of problems. Are there
any decent sites that sell stuff from within europe?

> Two other points - buy an energy authority approved soldering iron from
> a supplier in your own country - not from ebay or from overseas - and if
> your house is not fitted with earth leakage detection get yourself a
> portable unit for use with your gear.
>
> Last, throw away any supplied batteries and fit good quality alkaline
> like Eveready or Duracell - its not so much for the long life but to
> make sure it doesn't leak and wreck your meter (for the $15 meter it
> probably doesn't mater)

Thanks for the tips, David.

Rui Maciel
From: David Eather on
On 15/07/2010 11:33 AM, Rui Maciel wrote:
> David Eather wrote:
>
>> Definitely agree with the above.
>>
>> Don't buy from ebay.
>
> Indeed. Ebay does have quite a lot of cheap DMMs but they are all chinese knock-offs. Cheap is
> good but I'm not very comfortable contributing to this sort of shenanigans.
>

>> These guys (below) sell to a lot of engineers, technicians and
>> hobbyists. They seem to be reliable.
>> http://www.dealexcel.com/
>>
>> This is a good choice for a first multimeter if you are a careful double
>> checking sort of person.
>> http://www.dealexcel.com/unit-ut61a-modern-digital-multimeters-4000counts-dmm-sku366_p366.html
>>
>> This is about as cheap a meter as I would suggest for a first meter.
>> http://www.dealexcel.com/ut30d-palmsize-digital-multimeters-sku420_p420.html
>>

>> There is also a similarly named company called www.dealextreme.com They
>> have a wider range of hobbyist level tools at slightly lower prices.
>> They are also reliable.
>
> Those sites do look good but. Unfortunately, as they are chinese companies it is very possible
> that, if I order stuff from them, the customs people would create all sorts of problems. Are there
> any decent sites that sell stuff from within europe?
>

>> Two other points - buy an energy authority approved soldering iron from
>> a supplier in your own country - not from ebay or from overseas - and if
>> your house is not fitted with earth leakage detection get yourself a
>> portable unit for use with your gear.
>>
>> Last, throw away any supplied batteries and fit good quality alkaline
>> like Eveready or Duracell - its not so much for the long life but to
>> make sure it doesn't leak and wreck your meter (for the $15 meter it
>> probably doesn't mater)
>
> Thanks for the tips, David.
>

> Rui Maciel

Many countries have a minimum amount of customs to collect - if you are
under that amount they don't care (it costs more to collect than it is
worth) also tools are often tax free or at least tax reduced. Check with
the appropriate department, it will at least be worth your time.

I can't help you with Europe specific info. Someone on this newsgroup
mentioned a german company called Conrad.
From: Bill Bowden on
On Jul 14, 2:48 am, Rui Maciel <rui.mac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rui Maciel

Harbor Freight - 7 function - DMM - $1.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Only problem is using it in direct sunlight which adds about 0.5 to
the reading.
Use in shaded light only.

-Bill
From: Jamie on
Bill Bowden wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2:48 am, Rui Maciel <rui.mac...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Can you spare any tips on DMMs for newbies?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Rui Maciel
>

> Harbor Freight - 7 function - DMM - $1.99
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html
>
> Only problem is using it in direct sunlight which adds about 0.5 to
> the reading.
> Use in shaded light only.
>
> -Bill
those things are sold and have been sold in a variety of inners with
all kinds of different names on them...

I still have some older ones I got that allows you to tie the
common of the bat to the common input. Makes for a quick hack display..
Most of the ones they have now won't let you do that, even though they
look the same on the out side. Different board.

I think I paid like $3.00 each from a tool flea market.
I got a arm full that day... They make good wheel wedges and
don't hurt so much when they fail!