From: ahall on

I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for my
son's college computer.

Would there be any serious downside to buying a student
version of Win 7 64 bit?

Are drives a problem with the 64 bit OSs? Would I be able
to get the needed post install drivers from Dell? Would it
be a problem for printer drivers for a simple all-in-one
printer?

I have never installed an OS from scratch. Any questions
I should be asking?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)
From: Daddy on
On 7/28/2010 1:57 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:

> I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for my
> son's college computer.
>
> Would there be any serious downside to buying a student
> version of Win 7 64 bit?
>
> Are drives a problem with the 64 bit OSs? Would I be able
> to get the needed post install drivers from Dell? Would it
> be a problem for printer drivers for a simple all-in-one
> printer?
>
> I have never installed an OS from scratch. Any questions
> I should be asking?
>
> Thanks in advance,

The 'student versions' of Windows are identical in every way to the
software you can buy in a store; they just cost less. Keep in mind that
these are upgrade versions.

You'll need 64-bit drivers for 64-bit Windows, but 64-bit drivers are
available for most any hardware that you can buy today.

Why do you need to install Windows from scratch?

--
Daddy
From: ahall on
Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 7/28/2010 1:57 PM, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com wrote:
> >
> > I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for my
> > son's college computer.
> >
> > Would there be any serious downside to buying a student
> > version of Win 7 64 bit?
> >
> > Are drives a problem with the 64 bit OSs? Would I be able
> > to get the needed post install drivers from Dell? Would it
> > be a problem for printer drivers for a simple all-in-one
> > printer?
> >
> > I have never installed an OS from scratch. Any questions
> > I should be asking?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> The 'student versions' of Windows are identical in every way to the
> software you can buy in a store; they just cost less. Keep in mind
> that these are upgrade versions.
>
> You'll need 64-bit drivers for 64-bit Windows, but 64-bit drivers are
> available for most any hardware that you can buy today.
>
> Why do you need to install Windows from scratch?

The computer would come with a 32-bit OS (Probably XP, as if you get
the "Downgrade to XP" option you can get media. So I would install
the 64 bit version clean. Which I have not done before...

Thanks,

From: RnR on
In article <kpgeienlca7.fsf(a)panix1.panix.com>, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com
says...

> I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for my
> son's college computer.
>
> Would there be any serious downside to buying a student
> version of Win 7 64 bit?
>
> Are drives a problem with the 64 bit OSs? Would I be able
> to get the needed post install drivers from Dell? Would it
> be a problem for printer drivers for a simple all-in-one
> printer?
>
> I have never installed an OS from scratch. Any questions
> I should be asking?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I wouldn't do it. Tho they say 95% of the 32 bit programs work in 64bit
environment, if your son has any specialized software (ie: engineering
programs, etc..) they might be the 5% that don't cooperate. Of course
there are ways around this like virtual drives or dual boots, if you
have to go that route.

I'm now dealing with 7 64bit (new laptop 'cause old one died) and I'm
finding some pitfalls. Some of it tho I think has to do with hardware,
other 3rd party software clashes and last, my lack of knowledge in win 7
and using the dell 1564.

Now on the other hand, I think this is the OS of the future and it is
very stable for me. I'm forcing myself to deal with windows 7 because I
want to be a power user like before when I was in XP. This will take me
several years before I'm satisfied with myself but I did it in XP so I'm
sure I can do it again.
From: Al Dykes on
In article <MPG.26ba430e8e9c7f35989690(a)news.giganews.com>,
RnR <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <kpgeienlca7.fsf(a)panix1.panix.com>, ahall(a)no-spam-panix.com
>says...
>>
>> I am thinking of getting a Dell Latitude 6510 for my
>> son's college computer.
>>
>> Would there be any serious downside to buying a student
>> version of Win 7 64 bit?
>>
>> Are drives a problem with the 64 bit OSs? Would I be able
>> to get the needed post install drivers from Dell? Would it
>> be a problem for printer drivers for a simple all-in-one
>> printer?
>>
>> I have never installed an OS from scratch. Any questions
>> I should be asking?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>

>I wouldn't do it. Tho they say 95% of the 32 bit programs work in 64bit
>environment, if your son has any specialized software (ie: engineering
>programs, etc..) they might be the 5% that don't cooperate. Of course
>there are ways around this like virtual drives or dual boots, if you
>have to go that route.

Ask the university bookstore if any of the software is tied to a 32
bit OS.

IMO, 64 bit windows is a big win and I wouldn't do a fresh install of
32 bit Windows unless it was absolutely unavoidable.

--
Al Dykes