From: Paul Richards on
Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia
From: James Kosin on
On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:

> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?

Free no.

Here are some of the free ones:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

The more traditional better support:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-compilers/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/default.aspx
http://www.embarcadero.com/downloads

James K.
From: Stefan Pendl on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:18:58 -0400, James Kosin <james_kosin(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
>>
>> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
>> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
>>
>Free no.

Free YES ;-)

ANSI C:

Pelles C
http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/index.htm

Windows Driver Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff
Even so it is a driver kit, you can compile GUI applications too.

C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):

Windows SDK
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C17BA869-9671-4330-A63E-1FD44E0E2505&displaylang=en

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP2
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM
From: Drew on

"Stefan Pendl" <stefan.pendl(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:18:58 -0400, James Kosin <james_kosin(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On 3/15/2010 9:45 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
>>> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
>>>
>>Free no.
>>

> Free YES ;-)
>
> ANSI C:
>
> Pelles C
> http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/index.htm
>
> Windows Driver Kit
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-7633f2ec14ff
> Even so it is a driver kit, you can compile GUI applications
> too.
>

> C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
>
> Windows SDK
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C17BA869-9671-4330-A63E-1FD44E0E2505&displaylang=en

If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio (although
it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't contain a compiler at
all) then *NO* it won't compile x64. I don't know about the other links
provided YMMV. Good luck.

Drew

From: Stefan Pendl on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:43:37 -0500, "Drew" <dam(a)dam.com> wrote:

>> C, C++, .NET (VB, C#):
>>
>> Windows SDK
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C17BA869-9671-4330-A63E-1FD44E0E2505&displaylang=en
>>

>If this last is referring to the Express Edition of Visual Studio (although
>it looks like a link to the SDK which AFAIK doesn't contain a compiler at
>all) then *NO* it won't compile x64. I don't know about the other links
>provided YMMV. Good luck.
>
>Drew

The SDK does include several build environments and compilers for the mentioned languages.
It does not include an IDE or other source code editor.

For .NET you can use the SharpDevelop IDE at http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ , which uses the compiler included in the
SDK.

For C you could use the MinGWdevStudio to create the code and compile for x64 using the SDK.

The express version of visual studio does not include a x64 compiler, but you can utilize the one included in the SDK.

Check the download page for the SDK, which includes hints about what is included or start the web download I linked to, to get the
list of components, you will be surprised.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP2
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz