From: VanguardLH on
theslaz wrote:

> Just upgraded my computer with Windows 7 64 bit. Now I would like to do
> the same with my wifes. How does one determine if her computer is
> compatible to the 64 bit operating system. It is a Compaq Presario
> SR1300NX; has a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. I have done a Google on
> this and have researched that model. No where can I find anything that
> even mentions 64 bit.
> I also would like to put in a larger drive that is Sata. I don't believe
> she has a Sata connection on the mother board. I do have a Sata card
> that I can use. Is this a reliable option?
> Is she out of luck

How to tell if you have a Sempron with the 64-bit extensions included:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201

Obviously you cannot run a 64-bit OS unless you have 64-bit hardware.
So did you check if all the devices (scanners, printers, etc) have
64-bit drivers. If not, you won't be able to use them. While you can
run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit OS, you need to match 64-bit drivers
to a 64-bit OS.
From: theslaz on
Bob I wrote:
> Run the Advisor
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
>
> theslaz wrote:
>
>> Just upgraded my computer with Windows 7 64 bit. Now I would like to
>> do the same with my wifes. How does one determine if her computer is
>> compatible to the 64 bit operating system. It is a Compaq Presario
>> SR1300NX; has a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. I have done a Google on
>> this and have researched that model. No where can I find anything that
>> even mentions 64 bit.
>> I also would like to put in a larger drive that is Sata. I don't
>> believe she has a Sata connection on the mother board. I do have a
>> Sata card that I can use. Is this a reliable option?
>> Is she out of luck

Ran the adviser and it said to "Custom Install the 32 bit version" I
think that answerers my question! However; I will try the 64 bit version
and see what happens. The worst that can happen is; it will tell me to
take a flying leap!
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: USB mouse and PS2 keyboard not working
Next: sound