From: theslaz on
Just upgraded my computer with Windows 7 64 bit. Now I would like to do
the same with my wifes. How does one determine if her computer is
compatible to the 64 bit operating system. It is a Compaq Presario
SR1300NX; has a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. I have done a Google on
this and have researched that model. No where can I find anything that
even mentions 64 bit.
I also would like to put in a larger drive that is Sata. I don't believe
she has a Sata connection on the mother board. I do have a Sata card
that I can use. Is this a reliable option?
Is she out of luck
From: Bob I on
Run the Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

From: David B. on
Seems some are and some aren't, really the easiest way to tell? Boot from
the x64 installation DVD, before you get too far it will tell you if your
system is not x64 compliant.

From: DL on
If the specs are those found on a search on that model, dont even bother,
its only marginal for WinXP
Buy a new PC or carry on using it as is

From: Paul on
theslaz wrote:
> Just upgraded my computer with Windows 7 64 bit. Now I would like to do
> the same with my wifes. How does one determine if her computer is
> compatible to the 64 bit operating system. It is a Compaq Presario
> SR1300NX; has a 3000+ AMD Sempron processor. I have done a Google on
> this and have researched that model. No where can I find anything that
> even mentions 64 bit.
> I also would like to put in a larger drive that is Sata. I don't believe
> she has a Sata connection on the mother board. I do have a Sata card
> that I can use. Is this a reliable option?
> Is she out of luck

If this is the machine, the answer is no.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00280656&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

It is S462 socket and those processors are 32 bit. See the K7/S462 column here.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Sempron.html

*******

The 64 bit started showing up in the next generation, on sockets
such as S754/S939/AM2 etc.

Even on S754, you can find the occasional processor which is
not 64 bit capable. I had to look a bit, to find this one.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=167

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: USB mouse and PS2 keyboard not working
Next: sound