From: CarolynB on
I have recently taken the plunge and gotten a Vista Ultimate 64bit laptop
with Office Ultimate 2007 installed. I thought everything was going pretty
well with only minimal driver issues. But I am stumped as to why the Internet
Fax option does not work on the 64bit OS. Can someone explain that to me,
please? And is this going to change? I really do not want to downgrade my
laptop to a 32bit OS. I bought into 64bit to get the expanded capabilities,
or so I thought.

Thanks for your time.
--
difficult is easy; the impossible takes a little longer...
From: Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] on
What Internet Fax service does not work?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, CarolynB asked:

From: CarolynB on
Sorry, stupid of me not to say. I am using the Concord Fax
(www.ConcordFax.com) setup for Office 2003/2007. (I do realize this is a 3rd
party integration and I have contacted them also.) The message I get says
"This feature is not available on 64-bit operating systems" and is a
Microsoft Office error message. I have been using this product for almost a
year on a WinXP box with Office 2003 with no issues. I was a little dismayed
when it did not work on the upgrade, to read on the system requirements page
for the Office products that Internet Fax does not work on the 64bit OS (in
the fine print at the bottom). I am really puzzled as to why not. I have
business customers who will be moving up to Vista, and use this integration -
but I certainly can't put them on 64bit if it doesn't work for their business.

Thanks.

From: Beth Melton on
May I ask why you and your customers need a 64 bit operating system? If you
primarily use 32 bit applications then using a 64 bit os isn't going to make
the applications any faster. IOW, 32 bit application will use the 32 bit
emulation layer which isn't any different than using a 32 bit os.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102295841033.aspx

From: CarolynB on
While speed is nice, it is more a breathing room issue. The reason we are
using a 64bit OS is to take advantage of memory over 4GB, which is not seen
on a 32bit OS. 4Gb of memory is not enough when you are running Office and
Adobe CS3 (or the next upgrade), Sony DVD Architect, etc. And then throw
QuickBooks on there. According to specs, Windows Utlmate 64 can support up to
128Gb, assuming the hardware can. I would just like to use the 8Gb capability
I have on my laptop.

If there are not going to be 64bit applications coming - why do we have the
64bit OS? I would certainly like to see a 64bit version of Office.