From: Jonno Downes on
On Jun 30, 8:48 pm, "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote:
> > easy supply of suitable DRAM chips, if so maybe I should try swapping
> > those first and if that fails, send the boards off to yourself for
> > some more expert examination?
>
> They are getting harder to get hold of new though Jameco still sell them but
> their minimum order for international customers is $30 plus the postage. I
> have a number of spares that I have desoldered and tested, so if you need a
> couple for diagnosing I'm happy to pop a couple in the mail for you.

That would be great - if you send me an email I can paypal whatever
you think is reasonable for the chips+postage.

> I wouldn't be using the suspect PSU again. I personally use an ATX supply
> alongside a 9V AC 2A transformer from Jaycar with a recycled case and the
> power cord  salvaged from a dodgey powerbrick. See top picture herehttp://users.on.net/~clockmeister/other/VIC20C/

Could one ATX supply run a couple of C64s?

From: Clocky on
Jonno Downes wrote:
> On Jun 30, 8:48 pm, "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote:
>>> easy supply of suitable DRAM chips, if so maybe I should try
>>> swapping those first and if that fails, send the boards off to
>>> yourself for some more expert examination?
>>
>> They are getting harder to get hold of new though Jameco still sell
>> them but
>> their minimum order for international customers is $30 plus the
>> postage. I
>> have a number of spares that I have desoldered and tested, so if you
>> need a
>> couple for diagnosing I'm happy to pop a couple in the mail for you.
>>

> That would be great - if you send me an email I can paypal whatever
> you think is reasonable for the chips+postage.

They're on me, I'll send you an email Re: your address.
I probably don't need to tell you this but make sure you replace the
original chips with sockets ;-)

>> I wouldn't be using the suspect PSU again. I personally use an ATX
>> supply
>> alongside a 9V AC 2A transformer from Jaycar with a recycled case
>> and the
>> power cord salvaged from a dodgey powerbrick. See top picture
>> herehttp://users.on.net/~clockmeister/other/VIC20C/
>
> Could one ATX supply run a couple of C64s?

Depends on the rating (Wattage) of the PSU but it should be fine. A single
9VAC supply at 2A wouldn't be able to supply two C64's since each C64 needs
about 2A.

From: christianlott1 on
I have about 3 64's with the same symptoms. If they are all dram
problems I wonder if there is a market for a replacement product, but
I can't see a way to add a ram replacement board without piggybacking
every single chip. Maybe there's a place it could reroute the bus?
From: Clocky on
christianlott1 wrote:
> I have about 3 64's with the same symptoms. If they are all dram
> problems I wonder if there is a market for a replacement product, but
> I can't see a way to add a ram replacement board without piggybacking
> every single chip. Maybe there's a place it could reroute the bus?

Hmmm, contemplates...

From: christianlott1 on
On Jun 30, 6:23 pm, "Clocky" <notg...(a)happen.com> wrote:
> christianlott1 wrote:
> > I have about 3 64's with the same symptoms. If they are all dram
> > problems I wonder if there is a market for a replacement product, but
> > I can't see a way to add a ram replacement board without piggybacking
> > every single chip. Maybe there's a place it could reroute the bus?
>
> Hmmm, contemplates...

Maybe the only way to do this would be a new C64 motherboard with
sockets for SID and VIC at least. I wonder what the per chip cost is
for new 65C02s or CIAs? Dual 65C02s, new CIAs, an fpga to glue it all
together..