From: Steve M on
So, with the supposed obsolescence of the devices in the title, are there
super cheap deals to be had on said items?
I might be keen to score something worthwhile. Little to no 'traffic' where
I am.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Denny Strauser on
Steve M wrote:
> So, with the supposed obsolescence of the devices in the title, are there
> super cheap deals to be had on said items?
> I might be keen to score something worthwhile. Little to no 'traffic' where
> I am.
> Steve <snip> McQ

To be honest, I wouldn't be in a panic about wireless frequencies unless
you work in an area where many wireless frequencies are extremely tied
up. I've done shows in countries that designated frequencies quite
different than the USA, where I reside. If you can find unused
frequencies, you're probably safe, no matter what the law says. I've
used transmitters that were OK in the USA in countries that they were
"illegal". The problem, as I see it, is more about interference you
might have problems with, rather than you interfering with others'
communications. After all, wireless mic transmitters only transmit for a
few hundred feet.

I've used Shure Wireless Frequency Finder
http://www.shure.com/proaudio/techlibrary/wirelessfrequencyfinder/index.htm
to choose appropriate frequencies, but in some cities (Washington, DC
especially), none in my frequency bands were recommended.

I'll include a disclaimer saying; "Your mileage may vary."

- Denny
From: bob urz on
Steve M wrote:
> So, with the supposed obsolescence of the devices in the title, are there
> super cheap deals to be had on said items?
> I might be keen to score something worthwhile. Little to no 'traffic' where
> I am.
>

> --
> Steve <snip> McQ

Heres the deal in the USA. After the official turn over day, portions of
the 700's will be used for cell phones. When those towers go on line,
it may totally knock out your mikes. There are other services which may
also interfere. Whats clear today may not be tomorrow. My local Cox
cable provider is gong to use 700's for a new cell phone service.

Many users are still totally unaware of the changeover. There are
thousands upon thousands in churches all over the US which may or may
not be usable. Probably 95% of those never had site permits for
the units anyway.

I still see Broadway shows using 700MHZ. The last one (Chicago)i asked
why. They said thats what the shop sent out and they would not send out
any updated units. We will see how that all shakes out in the future.

Unless its a high dollar frequency agile unit, its probably not worth
getting changed to another frequency band.

As far as i know 700's will still be available in Canada, which would
generate a secondary market for the used units.

bob