From: RT on
On Jan 27, 5:36 pm, "Steve Jain [MVP]" <norepl...@-.essjae.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:21:08 -0800 (PST), RT <rob.town...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Our software has a 1024x768 minimum, so 768x1024 is not good enough.
> >So we need 1024 for both horizontal and vertical resolution for
> >portrait mode.
> >Do Tablets nowadays accommodate that?
>
> >i know one Motion can have really high resolutions.  But most LCD
> >panels max out corresponding to their physical size.  19in LCD does no
> >more than 1280x1024.  Our 3 year old HP tc4400's can only do 1024x768
> >max, no more.  Does the Tablet have to have a real video card to
> >support higher resolutions?
>
> Depends on the brand and model.
> My 3yr old Toshiba M400 tablet does 1440x1050 (very high for a 12"
> tablet).  A lot of the Lenovo tablets only do 1280x800.  New HPs are
> wide-screen also @ 1280x800.
> Most new 12" tablets are at the 1280x800 resolution, WXGA, don't think
> anyone is  producing any higher resolutions.
>
> All tablets have "real" video cards, if they didn't you'd have no
> video. Integrated video cards aren't the limit of your resolution, its
> based on the screen they put on the tablet and that is most likely
> driven by marketing.  What you gain with a discrete video card is
> performance.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVPhttp://vpc.essjae.com/http://smudj.wordpress.com/

i have an LCD projector that is 1024x768 native, but can extrapolate
to 1280x1024. Hoping for at least something like that provided in a
device driver. Does your Toshiba do 1440x1050 natively or is it
extrapolated?
From: Beverly Howard on
>> I've never seen or heard of an LCD notebook/tablet screen that can
run at a higher resolution than the native resolution. <<

Used to be true, but not on most of the laptops including cheap netbooks
that I have set up for the past few years... for example, my Fuji tablet
which has a 1024x768 screen, offers

800x600.
1024x768.
1280x720.
1280x768.
1280x1024.
1400x1050.
1600x1200.
1920x1080.
1920x1200.

....for the external monitor.

Beverly Howard
From: Beverly Howard on
<hit send too soon>

In addition, you can set the LCD to a higher resolution and then scroll
the additional real estate by moving the mouse past the screen borders.

As Steve indicates, as far as "simulating" a higher resolution in the
available real estate, haven't seen that either.

Beverly Howard
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:05:33 -0600, Beverly Howard
<Bev(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> >> I've never seen or heard of an LCD notebook/tablet screen that can
>run at a higher resolution than the native resolution. <<
>
>Used to be true, but not on most of the laptops including cheap netbooks
>that I have set up for the past few years... for example, my Fuji tablet
>which has a 1024x768 screen, offers
>
>800x600.
>1024x768.
>1280x720.
>1280x768.
>1280x1024.
>1400x1050.
>1600x1200.
>1920x1080.
>1920x1200.
>
>...for the external monitor.
>
>Beverly Howard

Yes, for an external monitor, but I specifically said "an LCD
notebook/tablet screen." The context of this is not about external
monitors.

From: RT on
On Jan 28, 3:08 pm, Beverly Howard <B...(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> <hit send too soon>
>
> In addition, you can set the LCD to a higher resolution and then scroll
> the additional real estate by moving the mouse past the screen borders.
>
> As Steve indicates, as far as "simulating" a higher resolution in the
> available real estate, haven't seen that either.
>
> Beverly Howard

Just came back from BestBuy.

The first netbook i tried allowed 1152x864 on a tiny screen. Yes, it
wasn't the easiest to read, but it did extrapolate way past the tiny
physical dimensions of the screen.

A much larger laptop never went above 1280x800 and that had a
dedicated ATI video card.