From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Steve" <Steve(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I must have missed something important, why is this coming to an end?
>
> "Daniel" wrote:

The are moving the support forums to a web based interface. You can however
download a "bridge" if you really must use a NNTP news reader. I not really
convinced it worth it to use the newsreader bridge, but it is a option.

More and more ISP's are shutting down their newsgroup support, and few "new"
users don't even know what a newsgroup is.

Also, consider that a good number here enter posts via some kind of web
interface now. So, on June 1st, those web users will be re-directed to the
web form for access. That forum is here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

For NNTP users, they have to install the bridge, or dump use of a newsreader
and use the web interface. I started using the web interface, an I am
finding I can well work with it...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Mike Painter on
Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> "Jim L." <JimL(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Come to an end? What's going on here. I can't finish my DB without
>> the help
>> of these people.
>>

> The NNTP forums here are being migrated (shut down). If you been
> using the web interface to get here, then after Monday when you go
> there, you will be directed to this group:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz
>

> So, after this Monday, no further questions + answers will occur
> here....
> You can also continue to use a NNTP newsreader by installing a bridge
> that interfaces to the above new group. I am not really sure it worth
> the trouble to set up the NNTP interface and the web interface seems
> to work quite well for me. We are hoping however that we get a better
> set of "groups" as traffice grows (there only one access group there
> right now).
> So, you will find me in that group after Monday...

Possibly. If you follow this link that appears in the message
"Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx"
You can end end up here
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads

rather than in the other forum.

From: RD on
Everytime MS "fixes" things they make it harder to use.

I'm an old-timer. I've been on usenet since '95. Web-based forums
almost always suck.

It's been great both getting and giving help over the last few years.

Maybe I'll see you guys around sometime.

RD

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 08:41:01 -0700, ryguy7272
<ryguy7272(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hopefully MS will archive this data and maybe someday it will serve some
>greater purpose.

These messages will neither be archived nor transferred to the web interface,
at least not by Microsoft. They're just dumping them in the bit bucket.

They can be found at a competitor's service:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.access.*

You can click the "advanced search" button to narrow the search if you don't
want to read all 2,980,000 messages this brings up... <g>

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: trip_to_tokyo on
The categories on that site are not broken down as they are here.

Does anybody know if MS are going to do anything about that?

TIA for any replies.

"Albert D. Kallal" wrote:

> "Daniel" <d_xxxx(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Thank you so very kindly, it really is appreciated.
>
> In a a few days the lights go out here. This place has been great little
> kind of coffee shop in cyber space. I learned as much as I helped here.
>

> I am giving the msAnswers group a good try. I actually becoming used to the
> forum, and I think it can work out quite nice....
>
> So, once again, thanks for the comments, it means a lot, and see you all in
> cyber space somewhere. I will be in the msAnswers group if you looking for
> me.....
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz
>

> --
> Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)