From: Stefan Weiss on
On 30/07/10 22:22, David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 30, 8:33 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30/07/10 13:41, David Mark wrote:
>> > Most PERL programs would burn up under the strict microscope. CPAN is
>> > the Dynamic Drive of the PERL world.
>>
>> That's amusing, coming from someone who apparently isn't even familiar
>> enough with Perl to know how it's spelled.
>
> That's how I "spell" it. Or at least how I spelled it in that
> message. :)
>
> And I am quite familiar with Perl and the general quality of freebie
> Perl scripts found on the Web (particularly CPAN).
>
>> Are you aware that ES5's "use
>> strict" pragma was directly inspired by Perl?
>
> How is that relevant?

Because Dmitry was talking about "strict mode" in ES5, and you replied
with your "strict microscope" quip, quoted above.

>> And that almost all of the
>> modules on CPAN are running in strict mode?
>
> Are they? Could I possibly have had the wrong site in mind (it's been
> a few years). Regardless, strict mode does not good software
> make. ;)

Agreed. I will also gladly admit that there are a few bad apples in the
CPAN basket, but going by Sturgeon's Law ("ninety percent of everything
is crud"), I think CPAN is doing pretty well.

>> I don't know why you felt it
>> necessary to compare CPAN to a collection of amateur scripts like
>> Dynamic Drive.
>
> Because it is. I've had to work on lots of Perl applications that use
> CPAN modules. Many of them were horrible (the apps and the modules).

From what I've read, any software at all appears horrible to you (with
the possible exception of My Library). Has anybody else ever written
code that meets your approval?

>> Judging from your uninformed statement, I don't think
>> you've ever worked with CPAN before.
>
> Obviously that's a false assumption.

Possibly. I retract that.

>> Yes, I'm overprotective about Perl :)
>
> Overprotective of PERL or the specific scripts on CPAN?

Perl and CPAN as a whole. Individual modules may be out of date, or even
flat out ugly, but there's still a world of difference between CPAN and
a script kiddy site like Dynamic Drive.

--
stefan
From: David Mark on
On Jul 30, 7:55 pm, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/10 22:22, David Mark wrote:

> >> That's amusing, coming from someone who apparently isn't even familiar
> >> enough with Perl to know how it's spelled.
>
> > That's how I "spell" it.  Or at least how I spelled it in that
> > message.  :)
>
> > And I am quite familiar with Perl and the general quality of freebie
> > Perl scripts found on the Web (particularly CPAN).
>
> >> Are you aware that ES5's "use
> >> strict" pragma was directly inspired by Perl?
>
> > How is that relevant?
>
> Because Dmitry was talking about "strict mode" in ES5, and you replied
> with your "strict microscope" quip, quoted above.

Okay.

> >> And that almost all of the
> >> modules on CPAN are running in strict mode?
>
> > Are they?  Could I possibly have had the wrong site in mind (it's been
> > a few years).  Regardless, strict mode does not good software
> > make.  ;)
>
> Agreed. I will also gladly admit that there are a few bad apples in the
> CPAN basket, but going by Sturgeon's Law ("ninety percent of everything
> is crud"), I think CPAN is doing pretty well.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. The general quality of Perl scripts is far
higher than JS. So, CPAN is certainly a much better repository than
Dynamic Drive (if you can even call that site a repository). I was
just noting a parallel.

> >> I don't know why you felt it
> >> necessary to compare CPAN to a collection of amateur scripts like
> >> Dynamic Drive.
>
> > Because it is.  I've had to work on lots of Perl applications that use
> > CPAN modules.  Many of them were horrible (the apps and the modules).
>
> From what I've read, any software at all appears horrible to you (with
> the possible exception of My Library).

Now that's a gross exaggeration. When have I written about anything
but freebie JS scripts? I think it goes without saying that virtually
of those are horrible (and I am hardly alone in that assessment).

> Has anybody else ever written
> code that meets your approval?

Of course.

> >> Judging from your uninformed statement, I don't think
> >> you've ever worked with CPAN before.
>
> > Obviously that's a false assumption.
>
> Possibly. I retract that.

Fair enough. But change possibly to definitely.

> >> Yes, I'm overprotective about Perl :)
>
> > Overprotective of PERL or the specific scripts on CPAN?
>
> Perl and CPAN as a whole. Individual modules may be out of date, or even
> flat out ugly, but there's still a world of difference between CPAN and
> a script kiddy site like Dynamic Drive.

Yes, they are similar in one way, but certainly not identical (or even
on the same playing field).