From: netzweltler on

> > Infinity is called a concept,
>
> By whom?
>
> >not a number, so infinity is not part of the set of
> real numbers.
>
> There are any number of meanings of the word
> "infinity"; while it is
> true that it is not an element of the set of "real
> numbers", there are
> many things which are not elements of the set of
> "real numbers" and
> yet are numbers (e.g., nonreal complex numbers;
> surreal numbers;
> extended real numbers, etc).
>
> >What if 0.333... is also just a concept?
>
> Please define "concept", then define "just a
> concept". Without
> definitions, you aren't doing math.
>
> > Any terminating decimal can only approach infinity
>
> What do you mean by "approach infinity"?
>
> > as it can only approach 0.333... or pi.
>
> Please define "approach 0.333..." and "approach pi".
>
> > My idea is, that we might erroneously place
> terminating and non-terminating decimals in the same
> set.
>
> Depends entirely on what you want to do. Note that
> according to the
> axiom of unions and some other axioms of set theory,
> given any two
> sets A and B, there always is a set whose elements
> are exactly those
> things that are elements of A or elements of B.
>
> >Is it possible, that this means mixing up
> terminating decimals and concepts in the same set?
>
> There is certainly a lot of mixing up going here, but
> I think it is
> mostly happening in your head. Try to give *precise*
> definitions of
> the concepts before philosophizing more; you will
> find that it
> clarifies things immensely, while the approach you
> are taking
> currently can only obscure them.
>
> --
> Arturo Magidin

> Try to give *precise* definitions of the concepts
> before philosophizing more;

I will work on that. It might take some time.

You said:
> There are any number of meanings of the word
> "infinity";

Is it also valid to say:
There are any number of meanings of the word "number"?

Reinhard
From: Arturo Magidin on
On Aug 7, 5:18 pm, netzweltler <reinhard_fisc...(a)arcor.de> wrote:
> > > Infinity is called a concept,
>
> > By whom?
>
> > >not a number, so infinity is not part of the set of
> > real numbers.
>
> > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > "infinity"; while it is
> > true that it is not an element of the set of "real
> > numbers", there are
> > many things which are not elements of the set of
> > "real numbers" and
> > yet are numbers (e.g., nonreal complex numbers;
> > surreal numbers;
> > extended real numbers, etc).
>
> > >What if 0.333... is also just a concept?
>
> > Please define "concept", then define "just a
> > concept". Without
> > definitions, you aren't doing math.
>
> > > Any terminating decimal can only approach infinity
>
> > What do you mean by "approach infinity"?
>
> > > as it can only approach 0.333... or pi.
>
> > Please define "approach 0.333..." and "approach pi".
>
> > > My idea is, that we might erroneously place
> > terminating and non-terminating decimals in the same
> > set.
>
> > Depends entirely on what you want to do. Note that
> > according to the
> > axiom of unions and some other axioms of set theory,
> > given any two
> > sets A and B, there always is a set whose elements
> > are exactly those
> > things that are elements of A or elements of B.
>
> > >Is it possible, that this means mixing up
> > terminating decimals and concepts in the same set?
>
> > There is certainly a lot of mixing up going here, but
> > I think it is
> > mostly happening in your head. Try to give *precise*
> > definitions of
> > the concepts before philosophizing more; you will
> > find that it
> > clarifies things immensely, while the approach you
> > are taking
> > currently can only obscure them.
>
> > --
> > Arturo Magidin
> > Try to give *precise* definitions of the concepts
> > before philosophizing more;
>
> I will work on that. It might take some time.
>
> You said:
>
> > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > "infinity";
>
> Is it also valid to say:
> There are any number of meanings of the word "number"?

Indeed; "natural number", "rational number", "real number", "complex
number", "cardinal number", "surreal number", "nonstandard real
number" are just over half a dozen that come to mind in a few
nanoseconds.

--
Arturo Magidin
From: netzweltler on

> > > By whom?

> of
> > > real numbers.
> >
> > > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > > "infinity"; while it is
> > > true that it is not an element of the set of
> "real
> > > numbers", there are
> > > many things which are not elements of the set of
> > > "real numbers" and
> > > yet are numbers (e.g., nonreal complex numbers;
> > > surreal numbers;
> > > extended real numbers, etc).

> > > Please define "concept", then define "just a
> > > concept". Without
> > > definitions, you aren't doing math.

> infinity
> >
> > > What do you mean by "approach infinity"?

> > > Please define "approach 0.333..." and "approach
> pi".

> > > terminating and non-terminating decimals in the
> same
> > > set.
> >
> > > Depends entirely on what you want to do. Note
> that
> > > according to the
> > > axiom of unions and some other axioms of set
> theory,
> > > given any two
> > > sets A and B, there always is a set whose
> elements
> > > are exactly those
> > > things that are elements of A or elements of B.

> > > terminating decimals and concepts in the same
> set?
> >
> > > There is certainly a lot of mixing up going here,
> but
> > > I think it is
> > > mostly happening in your head. Try to give
> *precise*
> > > definitions of
> > > the concepts before philosophizing more; you will
> > > find that it
> > > clarifies things immensely, while the approach
> you
> > > are taking
> > > currently can only obscure them.
> >
> > > --
> > > Arturo Magidin
> > > Try to give *precise* definitions of the concepts
> > > before philosophizing more;
> >
> > I will work on that. It might take some time.
> >
> > You said:
> >
> > > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > > "infinity";
> >
> > Is it also valid to say:
> > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > "number"?
>
> Indeed; "natural number", "rational number", "real
> number", "complex
> number", "cardinal number", "surreal number",
> "nonstandard real
> number" are just over half a dozen that come to mind
> in a few
> nanoseconds.

What is common to all these different meanings of the word number?

Reinhard
From: Arturo Magidin on
On Aug 7, 6:39 pm, netzweltler <reinhard_fisc...(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> > > Is it also valid to say:
> > > There are any number of meanings of the word
> > > "number"?
>
> > Indeed; "natural number", "rational number", "real
> > number", "complex
> > number", "cardinal number", "surreal number",
> > "nonstandard real
> > number" are just over half a dozen that come to mind
> > in a few
> > nanoseconds.
>
> What is common to all these different meanings of the word number?

They all refer to specific concepts, defined in a precise, explicit,
and careful manner? They all refer to concepts called "number"? They
are all made up by human beings?

I have no idea what you are driving at, but your question is
hopelessly vague, much like most of your musings in this thread so
far.

--
Arturo Magidin
From: netzweltler on

> > > Indeed; "natural number", "rational number",
> > > "real
> > > number", "complex
> > > number", "cardinal number", "surreal number",
> > > "nonstandard real
> > > number" are just over half a dozen that come to
> > > mind
> > > in a few
> > > nanoseconds.
> >
> > What is common to all these different meanings of
> > the word number?
>
> They all refer to specific concepts, defined in a
> precise, explicit,
> and careful manner? They all refer to concepts called
> "number"? They
> are all made up by human beings?
>
> I have no idea what you are driving at, but your
> question is
> hopelessly vague, much like most of your musings in
> this thread so
> far.

A number is a mathematical object used in counting and measuring. That´s what you can read in Wikipedia. Is it valid to measure the distance between New York and Paris and to define, this is a number now? No. All you can say is, you can measure the distance between New York and Paris and your result is a terminating decimal. So, why is pi called a number? All you can say is, there is an algorithm to determine pi as precisely as you need it. And again, your result is a terminating decimal. This terminating decimal is the number, not pi (as a non-terminating decimal).

By the way, why is
> > What is common to all these different meanings of
> > the word number?
a vague question? Is it allowed to define any concept and call it a number? There must be something, they all have in common, like "they are all used in counting and measuring".

Reinhard