From: Reinhard Fischer on
For a better understanding of "countable/uncountable":

Which of the following statements is true/false?

1.
Terminating decimals are always countable, no matter how many decimal places they consist of.
2.
Decimals are uncountable, if they consist of infinitely many decimal places.
3.
Numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of decimal places.
4.
Numbers are uncountable, if they consist of an infinite number of decimal places.
5.
Natural numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of digits.
6.
Natural numbers are countable, even if they consist of an infinite number of digits.
From: Virgil on
In article
<1283897896.65519.1281075907785.JavaMail.root(a)gallium.mathforum.org>,
Reinhard Fischer <reinhard_fischer(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> For a better understanding of "countable/uncountable":
>
> Which of the following statements is true/false?
>
> 1.
> Terminating decimals are always countable, no matter how many decimal places
> they consist of.

> 2.
> Decimals are uncountable, if they consist of infinitely many decimal places.
> 3.
> Numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of decimal places.
> 4.
> Numbers are uncountable, if they consist of an infinite number of decimal
> places.
> 5.
> Natural numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of digits.
> 6.
> Natural numbers are countable, even if they consist of an infinite number of
> digits.

Do you mean to ask about the countability of SETS of all such numbers?

As if you do not, they are each neither true nor false, but mere
nonsense.
From: Reinhard Fischer on
I ask about the countability of SETS of all such numbers. Thanks for correcting me.
From: A N Niel on
In article
<1283897896.65519.1281075907785.JavaMail.root(a)gallium.mathforum.org>,
Reinhard Fischer <reinhard_fischer(a)arcor.de> wrote:

> For a better understanding of "countable/uncountable":
>
> Which of the following statements is true/false?
>
> 1.
> Terminating decimals are always countable, no matter how many decimal places
> they consist of.
> 2.
> Decimals are uncountable, if they consist of infinitely many decimal places.
> 3.
> Numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of decimal places.
> 4.
> Numbers are uncountable, if they consist of an infinite number of decimal
> places.
> 5.
> Natural numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of digits.
> 6.
> Natural numbers are countable, even if they consist of an infinite number of digits.

for 6 ...
there is no natural number with infinitely many digits, so that set is
empty, thus countable.

the others (stated for "the set of all...") are true
From: jbriggs444 on
On Aug 6, 2:24 am, Reinhard Fischer <reinhard_fisc...(a)arcor.de> wrote:
> For a better understanding of "countable/uncountable":
>
> Which of the following statements is true/false?

Hard to say -- they're so poorly phrased.

> 1.
> Terminating decimals are always countable, no matter how many decimal places they consist of.

A terminating decimal is a terminating decimal, not a set. So
countability does not apply.

The set of all real numbers with a terminating decimal expansion is
countable. As are all subsets of that set.

> 2.
> Decimals are uncountable, if they consist of infinitely many decimal places.

A decimal is a numeral denoting a real number, not a set. So
countability does not apply.

Some sets (of real numbers) which contain numbers with unterminating
expansions are countable and some are not. The set of all real
numbers with unterminating expansions is uncountable.

> 3.
> Numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of decimal places.

A number is a number, not a set. So countability does not apply.

There are constructions under which we identify individual real
numbers with sets. e.g. As equivalence classes of Cauchy sequences of
rational numbers or as Dedekind cuts of rational numbers. However,
those constructions are not canonical. Countability in this sense is
not an essential property of any particular real number.

As above, the set of numbers whose decimal expansions have [non-zero]
digits at a finite number of decimal places is countable.

> 4.
> Numbers are uncountable, if they consist of an infinite number of decimal places.

Again, an individual number is neither countable nor uncountable,
irrespective of any argument some dolt may make about its supposed
canonical representation as a set. Representations are a dime a
dozen.

> 5.
> Natural numbers are countable, if they consist of a finite number of digits.

Natural numbers are numbers, not sets. They are neither countable nor
uncountable.

All of the standard constructions for the natural numbers as sets
share the property that the set corresponding to any given natural
number is countable. So I'll defer to the "dolts" on this one. All
natural numbers are countable. [Though I'd be willing to argue the
opposing viewpoint with equal vigor]

All natural numbers have finite decimal expansions. All sets of
natural numbers are countable. The set of all natural numbers is
countable.

> 6.
> Natural numbers are countable, even if they consist of an infinite number of digits.

Every natural number whose decimal expansion consists of an infinite
number of digits is
indeed countable. And uncountable. And appears in the tattoo on the
rump of every invisible pink unicorn. And is written in letters of
fire on your own forehead.