From: John Larkin on
> I got a response back already,

>"The units assume 100% powerfactor and a level 120 volts, about as dumb as we could make it."

John

From: amdx on

"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
>> I got a response back already,
>
>>"The units assume 100% powerfactor and a level 120 volts, about as dumb as
>>we could make it."
>
> John

Yes John, it is the simple way to do an inaccurate measurement that is
easy for
an inexperienced homeowner to hookup.
Although they already have the homeowner inside the circuit breaker panel
putting the clamps around the feed lines, it would not be much more
difficult
to stick a wire in a circuit breaker and another in the neutral bar. BUT now
they're getting into rules and regulations.
It's always something!
MikeK

From: tm on

"amdx" <amdx(a)knology.net> wrote in message

> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
> message news:o1ir46hl72kjc6ttesrhcn8agrrp5ouhgs(a)4ax.com...
>>> I got a response back already,
>>
>>>"The units assume 100% powerfactor and a level 120 volts, about as dumb
>>>as we could make it."
>>
>> John
>>
> Yes John, it is the simple way to do an inaccurate measurement that is
> easy for
> an inexperienced homeowner to hookup.
> Although they already have the homeowner inside the circuit breaker panel
> putting the clamps around the feed lines, it would not be much more
> difficult
> to stick a wire in a circuit breaker and another in the neutral bar. BUT
> now
> they're getting into rules and regulations.
> It's always something!
> MikeK

Pulling the panel off gets you into "rules and regulations".

I know some people on this site that should never go inside a panel..

tm

From: Robert Baer on
Phil Allison wrote:
> "Robert Baer"
>> By definition, a CURRENT transformer cannot measure or indicate power.
>

> ** Under circumstances where the AC supply voltage is known and PF is likely
> to have only a minor effect on the total energy consumption - it most
> certainly can give useful indications.
>

> .... Phil

"Indication" is *not* "measure".
From: Uwe Hercksen on

amdx schrieb:

> Although they already have the homeowner inside the circuit breaker panel
> putting the clamps around the feed lines, it would not be much more
> difficult
> to stick a wire in a circuit breaker and another in the neutral bar. BUT now
> they're getting into rules and regulations.

Hello,

it would have been easier for the homeowner if they put the voltage
measurement within the display unit.
But for a correct measurement three wires are necessary to measure the
two voltages on both phases.

Bye