From: Ian McCall on
I'm starting to see this a fair amount. Now, I'm using my phone as a
bluetooth modem and I'm often in places where the connection might be a
bit dodgy (there's specific black spots on the way in from Maidenhead
to Paddington, also my top floor work location means I'm down to GPRS
there rather than 3G) so I'm not surprised that the connection goes
dead once in a while.

I am, however, surprised that OS X doesn't seem able to recover from
it. Once I see that message, about eight times out of ten my only
solution is to reboot the machine. The Mac that is, not the phone. I've
tried restarting the phone and its had no effect.

In the console log, I usually see this:
console.log.0:Jan 10 12:15:17 Ians-MacBook-Pro pppd[231]: Failed to
open /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: Resource busy

Now, the modem itself can't be busy because as I say this error
persists even if I switch the phone off and on again.

Any ideas on how to recover from this state without rebooting?

Cheers,
Ian

From: Peter Ceresole on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> Any ideas on how to recover from this state without rebooting?

Logging out of your account and loggin in again?
--
Peter
From: Sak Wathanasin on
Ian McCall wrote:

> In the console log, I usually see this:
> console.log.0:Jan 10 12:15:17 Ians-MacBook-Pro pppd[231]: Failed to open
> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: Resource busy

That's nothing to do with the 3G/GPRS, but with the Bluetooth connection
to the phone. I've seen this here several times after waking the iBook
from sleep. I'm convinced it's a bug in 10.4 though I can't prove it.
Rebooting gets it going again as does pairing the phone again.
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2007-01-11 15:13:34 +0000, Sak Wathanasin <sw(a)nan.co.uk> said:

> Ian McCall wrote:
>
>> In the console log, I usually see this:
>> console.log.0:Jan 10 12:15:17 Ians-MacBook-Pro pppd[231]: Failed to
>> open /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem: Resource busy
>
> That's nothing to do with the 3G/GPRS, but with the Bluetooth
> connection to the phone. I've seen this here several times after waking
> the iBook from sleep. I'm convinced it's a bug in 10.4 though I can't
> prove it. Rebooting gets it going again as does pairing the phone again.

On a few occasions my PB's Bluetooth hardware has failed to wake up
from sleep, leading to some quite odd behaviour in the Menu Extras and
System Preferences. IIRC there was a relevant-looking message in the
console logs which might be worth looking for. I didn't have 10.3.9 on
my PB for very long, so can't say if it is 10.4-related or not.

The only cure is to reboot.

Cheers,

Chris