From: Ludovic Brenta on
Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 04:00:40 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mail...(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>
>>> BTW, is it possible to have one united Ada policy for all Linux
>>> distributions?
>
>> First you have to enumerate "all Linux distributions"; I don't know how
>> to do that.
>
> That's simple: all distributions having GNAT on the list. (In effect GNAT
> is the only Linux Ada compiler)

You have reduced the problem to a smaller sub-problem but not solved
the sub-problem, thereby showing that it is not as "simple" as you
claim it is.

>>> Linux Ada community is small, all people are known.
>
>> Known to whom?
>
> to anybody reading c.l.a?

>>> Can't we use this as an advantage here?
>
>> It might be possible, if we can get everyone together.
>
>> Certainly Linux distributions that are derived from Debian should simply
>> use the Debian Ada policy.
>
>> We could define "Linux Ada community" as "people who respond to this
>> post"; that is at least a practical working definition. I doubt it
>> matches reality.
>
> [Wondering] Is it possible that there exist GNAT distribution maintainers,
> who do not read c.l.a? They must be experienced Ada programmers in order to
> be able to do that job. There is not that many other Ada resources on the
> Web. I would be happy if there were a conspiracy for Ada, driven by some
> top secret agents, but a more realistic hypothesis is that "we" indeed know
> these people.

The Linux Ada community is small but still larger than the
comp.lang.ada community; there are many web forums where newbies who
have never heard of Usenet ask questions about Ada and GNAT on GNU/
Linux.

In the thread "One united Ada policy for all Linux distributions?" I
enumerated the GNAT distribution maintainers that I know about; you
will see that few of them read comp.lang.ada (of if they do, they are
very silent about it).

Personally I think they should participate on comp.lang.ada if only
occasionally to make their work known. But the fact is they don't.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 02:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:

>>> First you have to enumerate "all Linux distributions"; I don't know how
>>> to do that.
>>
>> That's simple: all distributions having GNAT on the list. (In effect GNAT
>> is the only Linux Ada compiler)
>
> You have reduced the problem to a smaller sub-problem but not solved
> the sub-problem, thereby showing that it is not as "simple" as you
> claim it is.

But didn't I solve at least the problem of Linux enumeration? (:-))

>> [Wondering] Is it possible that there exist GNAT distribution maintainers,
>> who do not read c.l.a? They must be experienced Ada programmers in order to
>> be able to do that job. There is not that many other Ada resources on the
>> Web. I would be happy if there were a conspiracy for Ada, driven by some
>> top secret agents, but a more realistic hypothesis is that "we" indeed know
>> these people.
>
> The Linux Ada community is small but still larger than the
> comp.lang.ada community; there are many web forums where newbies who
> have never heard of Usenet ask questions about Ada and GNAT on GNU/
> Linux.

Yes, but I hope newbies do not maintain GNAT distributions...

> In the thread "One united Ada policy for all Linux distributions?" I
> enumerated the GNAT distribution maintainers that I know about; you
> will see that few of them read comp.lang.ada (of if they do, they are
> very silent about it).

OK, I agree. The web distance is not 0. Isn't 1? I.e. any Linux GNAT
maintainer is known to somebody in c.l.a?

> Personally I think they should participate on comp.lang.ada if only
> occasionally to make their work known. But the fact is they don't.

They certainly will, if a project of unification starts, organized as a
body similar to ARG. It could also be a good place for reporting
language-specific GNAT bugs and fixes, before they go to GCC.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Stephen Leake on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> On Tue, 18 May 2010 04:00:40 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>>
>>> BTW, is it possible to have one united Ada policy for all Linux
>>> distributions?
>>
>> First you have to enumerate "all Linux distributions"; I don't know how
>> to do that.
>
> That's simple: all distributions having GNAT on the list. (In effect GNAT
> is the only Linux Ada compiler)

You still have not stated how to get the list of "all distributions" in
the first place; you are answering a different question.

>>> Linux Ada community is small, all people are known.
>>
>> Known to whom?
>
> to anybody reading c.l.a?

As Ludovic points out, that does not cover the entire Linux Ada community.

--
-- Stephe
From: Stephen Leake on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> On Tue, 18 May 2010 02:53:05 -0700 (PDT), Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:

>>> That's simple: all distributions having GNAT on the list. (In effect GNAT
>>> is the only Linux Ada compiler)
>>
>> You have reduced the problem to a smaller sub-problem but not solved
>> the sub-problem, thereby showing that it is not as "simple" as you
>> claim it is.
>
> But didn't I solve at least the problem of Linux enumeration? (:-))

No. What you said is: "given a list of Linux distributions, you
determine which ones need an Ada policy by checking to see if they
include GNAT".

That doesn't say how to get the "list of Linux distributions" in the
first place, which was my question.

>> Personally I think they should participate on comp.lang.ada if only
>> occasionally to make their work known. But the fact is they don't.
>
> They certainly will, if a project of unification starts, organized as a
> body similar to ARG. It could also be a good place for reporting
> language-specific GNAT bugs and fixes, before they go to GCC.

ARG does not use c.l.a; they use a private mailing list. I would expect
any formal body to do the same.

--
-- Stephe
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 05:25:02 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> That doesn't say how to get the "list of Linux distributions" in the
> first place, which was my question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

You can certainly reduce that to the list of "popular distributions" shown
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

>>> Personally I think they should participate on comp.lang.ada if only
>>> occasionally to make their work known. But the fact is they don't.
>>
>> They certainly will, if a project of unification starts, organized as a
>> body similar to ARG. It could also be a good place for reporting
>> language-specific GNAT bugs and fixes, before they go to GCC.
>
> ARG does not use c.l.a; they use a private mailing list. I would expect
> any formal body to do the same.

That depends on the grade of its formality you liked to achieve.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov