From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"John" <notme(a)nospam.org> wrote in message
> Before Microsoft pulls the plug on the few remaining newsgroups, I
> would
> like to express my thanks to all who have helped me with various
> problems over the years, especially the members of the MVP
> organization.
> Your assistance has been of great value and it has been very much
> appreciated. You have not only helped me resolve some thorny problems,
> you have also helped me become more knowledgeable about computers in
> general.
>
> Most of my posts have been in one of the XP groups, which have already
> been shut down, or I would be posting this message there.
>
> And to the clueless genius at Microsoft who thought shutting down
> these
> newsgroups was progress, I offer a hearty Bronx cheer accompanied by
> the
> infamous one-finger salute!

You are not alone in that respect, John. Many agree that they should
have kept the newsgroups format with private and moderated NNTP groups
to keep annoying posters and spam out of the mix. Helpdesking works much
better when someone is 'in charge' and has control over what gets
posted.

You can still get some of the old groups by connecting to a server that
still carries them, some of the MVPs may not desire to post in them, but
they can continue to exist as 'user groups' for unbridled discussions.
Lack of use will surely be their demise as eventually more and more
servers decide to drop them.

....although I've seen groups that get about 1 post per year still being
carried by many NNTP servers.

From: Arvin Meyer on
Rest assured that many of the MVPs that have posted on the Micosoft
newsgroups will not let you down. We'll still be here, even if Microsoft
decides they don't want to support the program. We do it because we love
Access and love to help people. The MVP award is just icing on the cake.

I use the Earthlink servers, but there are many others still supporting
NNTP.

As to why Microsoft closed down their servers, they claim that ostensibly
there aren't enough posts to warrant it. That may be true, but we who supply
the answers find it much easier to use NNTP, and will continue to do so.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
That's good to know. The more people that know that fact, the less
likely NNTP will be overlooked as a way to get help.