From: me on
Wolverine WOPP2320GB
PicPac II 320GB Digital Camera and Camcorder
Portable Backup

vs.

Sanho HYHDCSU250GB
HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA

Background:

I needed a newer larger image storage device for an upcoming 2week
vacation. I have owned and previously used a Nixvue 10GB digital Album
and an Archos 20GB GMini.

My experience:

Wolverine:
Being a minimalist I initially ordered the Wolverine from B&H for
~U$150. Not great speed, nor battery capacity, but I thought it would
minimally meet my needs for the minimal price. Upon delivery it
appeared to be charged ~3/4 of capacity, but I charged it overnight
before trying to use it. Powered up I found the display would cut out
depending upon what buttons I pressed, or inserted a CF card or
squeezed the case. Not a grand initial impression. It never properly
recognized any of the three Sandisk CF cards I use, 2GB Ultra II, 4GB
Extreme II or 8GB Extreme IV. If forced to copy it apparently would,
however with no user feedback whatsoever. I only found this out after
connecting it to a computer. Wolverine tech support is not toll-free
and after spending several minutes I was instructed to return the
unit. I mentioned my displeasure at what I considered unsatisfactory
quality control and said I would return the unto to B&H for a refund,
not replacement. Despite the tech person taking offense at that, no
other remedy was offered. Given that my trip was the following week, I
was not going to take a chance on another sample.

Sanho:
I ordered the Sanho from B&H for ~U$360 after doing the RMA for the
return of the Wolverine. After charging the Sanho overnight it booted
up properly and so far has properly made almost a dozen transfres from
both CF and SD cards. Same for connecting to the PC and transferring
files. If you care to use it it can also do incremental transfers,
recognizing what it has copied previously. The HD and battery are user
repalceable. Had I had the time I might have bought the bare unit and
installed my own SATA HD. Battery charge is rated at 250GB of transfer
comared to 16GB for the Wolverine. I've seen transfer speeds
approaching 30MB/s from my Extreme IV cards and appraochng 20MB/s from
Extrreme III.

For the extra$$, besides the greater transfer speed and battery
capacity the Sanho also has a diplay and a raw decoder to display
images. This model does not have any vidoe outputs to display on
external devices. There is the next up unit wich will do this and
along with having an 800x600 display will also play video(MPEG,MP4,
WMV) files.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-29 07:59:40 -0700, me <me(a)mine.net> said:

> Wolverine WOPP2320GB
> PicPac II 320GB Digital Camera and Camcorder
> Portable Backup
>
> vs.
>
> Sanho HYHDCSU250GB
> HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA
>
> Background:
>
> I needed a newer larger image storage device for an upcoming 2week
> vacation. I have owned and previously used a Nixvue 10GB digital Album
> and an Archos 20GB GMini.
>
> My experience:
>
> Wolverine:
> Being a minimalist I initially ordered the Wolverine from B&H for
> ~U$150. Not great speed, nor battery capacity, but I thought it would
> minimally meet my needs for the minimal price. Upon delivery it
> appeared to be charged ~3/4 of capacity, but I charged it overnight
> before trying to use it. Powered up I found the display would cut out
> depending upon what buttons I pressed, or inserted a CF card or
> squeezed the case. Not a grand initial impression. It never properly
> recognized any of the three Sandisk CF cards I use, 2GB Ultra II, 4GB
> Extreme II or 8GB Extreme IV. If forced to copy it apparently would,
> however with no user feedback whatsoever. I only found this out after
> connecting it to a computer. Wolverine tech support is not toll-free
> and after spending several minutes I was instructed to return the
> unit. I mentioned my displeasure at what I considered unsatisfactory
> quality control and said I would return the unto to B&H for a refund,
> not replacement. Despite the tech person taking offense at that, no
> other remedy was offered. Given that my trip was the following week, I
> was not going to take a chance on another sample.
>
> Sanho:
> I ordered the Sanho from B&H for ~U$360 after doing the RMA for the
> return of the Wolverine. After charging the Sanho overnight it booted
> up properly and so far has properly made almost a dozen transfres from
> both CF and SD cards. Same for connecting to the PC and transferring
> files. If you care to use it it can also do incremental transfers,
> recognizing what it has copied previously. The HD and battery are user
> repalceable. Had I had the time I might have bought the bare unit and
> installed my own SATA HD. Battery charge is rated at 250GB of transfer
> comared to 16GB for the Wolverine. I've seen transfer speeds
> approaching 30MB/s from my Extreme IV cards and appraochng 20MB/s from
> Extrreme III.
>
> For the extra$$, besides the greater transfer speed and battery
> capacity the Sanho also has a diplay and a raw decoder to display
> images. This model does not have any vidoe outputs to display on
> external devices. There is the next up unit wich will do this and
> along with having an 800x600 display will also play video(MPEG,MP4,
> WMV) files.

I have had a colorspace UDMA 250GB for 18 months now, and it performs
flawlessly, as advertised. On trips, I first back up to the Colorspace
UDMA using the incremental back up feature. A single battery charge has
been good for a 10 day trip.

On trips, along with my laptop, it has become part of my back up protocol.

Before that I had a SmartDisk Flashtrax, which had plenty of features,
but was a PIA, had bad battery life, CF card only, and unlike the
Colorspace UDMA, ended up mostly unused.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Alfred Molon on
I would just bring along many memory cards which now are very, very
cheap. If you need significantly more than 30GB of memory, simply but a
cheap netbook with a large HDD.
--

Alfred Molon
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:59:40 -0400, me wrote:

> Wolverine WOPP2320GB
> PicPac II 320GB Digital Camera and Camcorder Portable Backup
>
> vs.
>
> Sanho HYHDCSU250GB
> HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA
>
> Background:
>
> I needed a newer larger image storage device for an upcoming 2week
> vacation. I have owned and previously used a Nixvue 10GB digital Album
> and an Archos 20GB GMini.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to get some extra CF cards?

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
From: Bruce on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:08:49 +0200, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I would just bring along many memory cards which now are very, very
>cheap. If you need significantly more than 30GB of memory, simply but a
>cheap netbook with a large HDD.

That has been my approach, ever since I bought an "image tank" that
failed - a Jobo Giga One. Its hard disk suffered a mechanical failure
and lost me hundreds of images that needed to be expensively re-shot.
At my expense. :-(

The answer is, as you say, many memory cards plus a netbook. I also
carry a portable 500GB external hard drive and back up the netbook's
hard drive to it. Better safe than sorry.