From: Robert valnar yahoo dot on
I had VPC 2004 then installed the 2007 beta. Worked fine. Now I
installed the release candidate for 2007 and I get an error popup
after installation saying:

Virtual PC has detected an invalid or missing Product ID.

A valid Product ID is required to operate Virtual PC. Please
re-run the Virtual PC installer and enter a valid Product ID when
requested.

If I uninstall the 2007 RC and install any other version, including
the older 2004 one, the same message applies. I tried deleting the
pertinent registry key and it didn't matter. Isn't all this supposed
to be free now? There seems to be nothing I can do to get it
installed again.

The only funny thing I can see is all my installs seem to be silent.
After I get past the initial setup screen, I get nothing. Not even a
notification that it's done, but I see hard drive activity and the
icon appears.

Help?

Robert
From: Robert valnar yahoo dot on
anyone? I can't get it back installed!!

From: Rob on
No one knows this error message?

From: Colin Barnhorst on
You can get support from Microsoft Product Support Services for VPC 2004 SP1
so give them a call. VPC 2007 is not yet supported because it is still
pre-release software. Call 1-800-MICROSOFT in the US.

From: Robert valnar yahoo dot on
Colin,
I tried that. It will cost $250 just to ask them that question on a
free product. Can't you look up this error message for me? There is
nothing on Microsoft's public web site that can lead me in the right
direction.

Now, I used to have a valid VPC 2004 key awhile ago, but the install
no longer asks for ANY key, so I can't put it in. Somewhere in my
machine, it kept something and now I can't install any version, 2004
or 2007 beta.

-Bob