From: PM on
The chipset fan on my Asus A8N-E motherboard is on the brink of failure.
I have contacted Asus several days ago but have received no reply.

The motherboard is revision 2.00. I have examined the board and am sure
that there are no screws holding the fan assembly to the motherboard.
Nor can I find any trace of plastic lugs holding it in place.

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the fan assembly and
suggestions on what to replace it with. I do have a Vantec Iceberg
CCB-A1C cooling fan that I have not used (replaced the whole mb instead).

Thanks
From: tobe on
PM wrote:
> The chipset fan on my Asus A8N-E motherboard is on the brink of failure.
> I have contacted Asus several days ago but have received no reply.
>
> The motherboard is revision 2.00. I have examined the board and am sure
> that there are no screws holding the fan assembly to the motherboard.
> Nor can I find any trace of plastic lugs holding it in place.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the fan assembly and
> suggestions on what to replace it with. I do have a Vantec Iceberg
> CCB-A1C cooling fan that I have not used (replaced the whole mb instead).

I believe one has to remove the entire motherboard and get at the
connections holding the chipset fan on to the motherboard from the
underside of the motherboard! The chipset fan on these motherboards is
famous for failing. Some replace it with an aftermarket fan or a
passive cooler. Just Google on "A8N-E chipset fan" for a zillion
suggestions.
From: Paul on
PM wrote:
> The chipset fan on my Asus A8N-E motherboard is on the brink of failure.
> I have contacted Asus several days ago but have received no reply.
>
> The motherboard is revision 2.00. I have examined the board and am sure
> that there are no screws holding the fan assembly to the motherboard.
> Nor can I find any trace of plastic lugs holding it in place.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the fan assembly and
> suggestions on what to replace it with. I do have a Vantec Iceberg
> CCB-A1C cooling fan that I have not used (replaced the whole mb instead).
>
> Thanks

The Estore might have a replacement. The site appears to be having
problems right now (estore.asus.com), so use this archived page as
an example of what you could get. Sales from this site, are for
USA people only.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061018082845/http://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=231&catid=135

Paul
From: Wookie on
ASUS should replace the fan for you. You have to take the MB off to replace
it .. I did. You can try pressing on the (When it's off ) ... I did that
and it seemed to help for several weeks, I eventually replaced it over a
year ago with no problems. Like a previous poster said .. google it, the
passive Zelman heat sink is what a lot of people used successfully.

From: PM on
PM wrote:
> The chipset fan on my Asus A8N-E motherboard is on the brink of failure.
> I have contacted Asus several days ago but have received no reply.
>
> The motherboard is revision 2.00. I have examined the board and am sure
> that there are no screws holding the fan assembly to the motherboard.
> Nor can I find any trace of plastic lugs holding it in place.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the fan assembly and
> suggestions on what to replace it with. I do have a Vantec Iceberg
> CCB-A1C cooling fan that I have not used (replaced the whole mb instead).
>
> Thanks

Thanks to all. I removed the old fan and replaced it with a Vantek
IceBerq. But I am still getting the error message on boot. I suppose the
problem could be the mob itself.