From: YDOD on
I have just received a "last chance" discount coupon to upgrade to ACDSee
3.0 Pro. The last time I researched this program it still had the defect
(along with version 2.5) of significantly lowering the brightness of NEF
files which had been taken with the Nikon D90 after they have been viewed
for about 5 seconds. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed or
alternatively can anyone recommend a similar program which handles D90 NEF
files correctly.

From: me on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:45:53 -0700, "YDOD" <walker7729(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have just received a "last chance" discount coupon to upgrade to ACDSee
>3.0 Pro. The last time I researched this program it still had the defect
>(along with version 2.5) of significantly lowering the brightness of NEF
>files which had been taken with the Nikon D90 after they have been viewed
>for about 5 seconds. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed or
>alternatively can anyone recommend a similar program which handles D90 NEF
>files correctly.

First, why are you convinced this is a bug? I use Bibble Lite these
days and it will do this as it builds high quality thumbs. First it
displays low quality thumbs and then it displays a higher quality
thumb whith all the default conversion parameters applied. IIRC a
simlar thing occured with RSE. What are you using for your comparison.
This behavior happens with raw files from my D70/200/300.
From: Paul Furman on
me wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:45:53 -0700, "YDOD"<walker7729(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have just received a "last chance" discount coupon to upgrade to ACDSee
>> 3.0 Pro. The last time I researched this program it still had the defect
>> (along with version 2.5) of significantly lowering the brightness of NEF
>> files which had been taken with the Nikon D90 after they have been viewed
>> for about 5 seconds. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed or
>> alternatively can anyone recommend a similar program which handles D90 NEF
>> files correctly.
>
> First, why are you convinced this is a bug? I use Bibble Lite these
> days and it will do this as it builds high quality thumbs. First it
> displays low quality thumbs and then it displays a higher quality
> thumb whith all the default conversion parameters applied. IIRC a
> simlar thing occured with RSE. What are you using for your comparison.
> This behavior happens with raw files from my D70/200/300.

Lightroom does it too, first it reads the embedded jpeg in the NEF, then
generates it's own with default settings. Only Capture will preserve the
in-camera contrast etc settings.