From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello IT,

The problem can be the different hardware. Restoring to that can work, but
my experience is that it always end's with a blue screen.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Dhruv raj on
well you can do following

restore the system state back up to a member server (make sure you select
the restore to alternate location)
the before restoring you might prefer to create folder where the system
back up will be resoted
and select that path while restoreing
---share that folder where you restored the sys state of your previous dc-
then

install new os (for new dc) (similar hdware config)
aply service packs
install drivers
create a folder names NTDSRestore in the C:\ drive of the new server (that
will your dc
---copy the "Active directory " folder from the share that you created in
the member server
to the NTDSRestore folder in the new server

now here
use DCPROMO /ADV in the new server

select to promote from the backup
give the path NTDSrestore
use the domain admin credentials
and

"after that make sure that dns has _msdcs.yourdomain.com zone and service
locator records refer to new server"
you might need to delete the content of
c:\windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns
then restart the netlogon service and the dns server service

we have a new dc with all the infromation in old dc
however the metadata of the old server is still there in active directory
--you need to remove the metadata of the old server using the NTDSUTIL command
plese follow this technet article

u also need to seize the fsmo roles

and you are done..!

From: IT Junkie on
On Feb 8, 9:24 am, Dhruv raj <Dhruv...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> well you can do following
>
> restore the system state back up to a member server (make sure you select
> the restore to alternate location)
> the before restoring you might prefer to create  folder where the system
> back up will be resoted
> and select that path while restoreing
> ---share that folder where you restored the sys state of your previous dc-
> then
>
> install new os (for new dc) (similar hdware config)
> aply service packs
> install drivers
> create a folder names  NTDSRestore in the C:\ drive of the new server (that
> will your dc
> ---copy the "Active directory " folder from the share that you created in
> the member server
> to the NTDSRestore folder in the new server
>
> now here
> use  DCPROMO /ADV in the new server
>
> select to promote from the backup
> give the path NTDSrestore
> use the domain admin credentials
> and
>
> "after that make sure that dns has _msdcs.yourdomain.com zone and service
> locator records refer to new server"
> you might need to delete the content of
> c:\windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns
> then restart the netlogon service and the dns server service
>
> we have a new dc with all  the infromation in old dc
> however the metadata of the old server is still there in active directory
> --you need to remove the metadata of the old server using the NTDSUTIL command
> plese follow this technet article
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728068.aspx
> u also need to seize the fsmo roles
>
> and you are done..!
>
> "IT Junkie" wrote:
> > I suffered a failure of the only DC in my domain and was forced to
> > rebulid the server.I've managed to restore from system state backup.
> > On reboot, I've experienced a few different errors, depending on the
> > method of restore.
>
> > The first error was  a 0x0000007b stop error which i eliminated by re-
> > installing the scsi drivers throught windows setup and repair.
>
> > The second is a 0xc0000227 stop error after the previous error is
> > fixed. I am unable to log into DSRM after this as the stop error
> > recurs. Is there any way I can recover from this?
>
> > Thirdly, a 0xc00002e1 error saying the SAM couldn't initialize.
>
> > What is the surest way of a complete successful restore? My current
> > hardware config consists of a Dell poweredge 6450 & an external
> > Powervault 220s SAN.
>
> > All drives have been configured as before the failure.
>
> > Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reply. However, when running the DCPROMO /ADV I can
only follow the normal DC promo steps and I'm not prompted to restore
from backup.

From: Paul Bergson [MVP-DS] on
Reading through the thread I notice you are looking to go virtual. How
about bringing up a virtual member server and doing a system state restore
to the virtual guest. I have done this on occasions in the past, I just
haven't done on a DC. There are issues with running virtual dc's, but in
this case if you can get this box up in the virtual world you could then
bring up a second physical dc to get the info back.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This

From: IT Junkie on
On Feb 9, 3:28 pm, "Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs(a)nopspam_msn.com>
wrote:
> Reading through the thread I notice you are looking to go virtual.  How
> about bringing up a virtual member server and doing a system state restore
> to the virtual guest.  I have done this on occasions in the past, I just
> haven't done on a DC.  There are issues with running virtual dc's, but in
> this case if you can get this box up in the virtual world you could then
> bring up a second physical dc to get the info back.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888794
>
> --
> Paul Bergson
> MVP - Directory Services
> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
>
> http://www.pbbergs.com
>
> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "IT Junkie" <riyaadm...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I suffered a failure of the only DC in my domain and was forced to
> > rebulid the server.I've managed to restore from system state backup.
> > On reboot, I've experienced a few different errors, depending on the
> > method of restore.
>
> > The first error was  a 0x0000007b stop error which i eliminated by re-
> > installing the scsi drivers throught windows setup and repair.
>
> > The second is a 0xc0000227 stop error after the previous error is
> > fixed. I am unable to log into DSRM after this as the stop error
> > recurs. Is there any way I can recover from this?
>
> > Thirdly, a 0xc00002e1 error saying the SAM couldn't initialize.
>
> > What is the surest way of a complete successful restore? My current
> > hardware config consists of a Dell poweredge 6450 & an external
> > Powervault 220s SAN.
>
> > All drives have been configured as before the failure.
>
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. To my knowledge, system state restores are
fickle and the new server needs to be as closely matched to the old
server as possible. There is some leeway in terms of differing
hardware, but I gone down all those avenues.